Announcement

Collapse

ZEALOTRY Users: Critical Notice on Continued Use

Edit: Our new HTML5 client (Orchil) is now open for beta testing in The Eternal City and Grendel's Revenge. Feel free to try give it a whirl at http://test.skotos.net/orchil/

Edit: We have made great strides toward a new HTML5 client, which should offer a replacement to Zealotry. We're hoping to release that in the very near future, but in the meantime, using Pale Moon remains the best method for ensuring there is zero interruption to your game playing during the transition.

As of November 14, Mozilla will be auto-updating all copies of Mozilla Firefox to Mozilla 57, a new edition of their browser that will disable all legacy add-ons. This will probably include the majority of the plug-ins that you use on Mozilla, including the Skotos Zealotry plug-in.

This is a big problem for us because Zealotry is the most stable of our clients at this time, and the one that we believe is in the widest use. There's unfortunately no easy way to update it, because we'd have to rewrite it from practically scratch, using their new programming system.

There are tricks that you could use to to prevent Mozilla updates, but we don't particularly suggest them, as you want to have a clean, secure browser. Fortunately, there are two alternative browsers that will support Zealotry. Each of them branched off of an earlier version of Mozilla Firefox, and each of them continues to be updated for important security issues.

Pale Moon Browser

The Pale Moon browser is our suggested replacement. It is a totally separate browser that branched off of Firefox some years ago. It will continue to support the classic plug-ins.

To install it:
  • Install Pale Moon (Windows & UNIX only)
  • Install the Zealotry XPI on Pale Moon
  • Restart the Pale Moon Browser
  • Play on Pale Moon

The official version of Pale Moon only supports Windows and UNIX, but you can also get a slightly less official version of Pale Moon for the Mac. We've tested it out and it looks like it's clean and works correctly, but use your own level of caution in working with the Mac variant.

If You Have Errors

Some users are experiencing "Content Encoding Errors" when using Pale Moon and Zealotry. As best we can tell, this is due to an incompatibility between Windows 8.1, Pale Moon, and Plugins. If you have this problem (or any other), we suggest instead using Mozilla's extended-release version of Firefox, which branched at Firefox 52. It's expected to remain supported until at least June 28, 2018, by which time Mozilla is planning to jump their ESR to a post-plugin phase. This is therefore a short-term solution, but we expect to have full release of our New HTML5 client well before that.

To install it:
The Big Picture

Our larger-scale goal is to introduce a new client that will be usable on any browser and make our games generally more accessible. We've had a HTML5 client in process since last year, but are currently hitting roadblocks that make a deployment before November 14 problematic. We've also just started a second project, which would be more specifically focused as a Zealotry replacement, without worries about new bells or new whistles. Both of these possibilities are being done out-of-house, by Skotos players, but they're receiving our highest level of attention for whatever support they need, as this is all our top priority.

So, consider this a short-term fix, but in the meantime if you use Zealotry, please download one of the alternative browsers and test them out ASAP.
See more
See less

Command FAQ

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Command FAQ

I've noticed there a several commands that have been added over the years that are not in the help files. So, I think we should have a sticky faq thread with commands that aren't in the help files.

Ex.:

@read <message range> on *<forum>
    You can read up to 10 messages at a time with this command in the WA.

@read 1-10 on *news

Found out today that several old players didn't know you could scan forum posts and @mails by tens.

Then there are those commands that have been posted in the forums but take forever to find if you even know they exist. I couldn't find any help files on the locksmithing skillset.

Ex.:

GRANT <person>
    Gives a person permission to work on your doors. Person must be present.

REVOKE <person>
    Takes permission away from a person on your permission list. Person does not have to be present.

Maybe the thread can be used as a queue for updates to the help files, too.

Repeats last command.
    <djazonic> tiko: do you know how to setup a win2k's telnet server?
    <JediPimp> djazonic: format c:\ ; <insert linux CD>
    ------------------------------------------------
    Herdias boggles and says to Marnevel, "a man in a woman's body gots to do what a man in a woman's body gots to do."
    Marnevel supercats to you, "Look for cat, cat walks away from crowd, kill cat, get training, get food."
    Japes says to Archimedes_plutonium, "Ok mister Robin Hood. I'll consider a solution to that predicament."

Comment

Some of these are or may be already in the helpfiles.

@request--for something you want done

@report--for reporting bugs and policy violations

@feedback--for sending kudos to the GMs

Stuff Japes has posted:

Usage: teach <skill> to <level>
      Example: teach one-handed swords jab to 40

When sparring, you can now choose whether or not to fight using your full strength. Use the 'fight' command in order to change how seriously you will fight your opponent. The following options are available:

fight all-out
      fight seriously
      fight half-serious
      fight barely serious
      fight toyingly

UNDRESS

The 'undress' command causes the character to start automatically removing articles of clothing. The AI will sort out for you which pieces of clothing need to be removed in what order, and will proceed accordingly.

DRESS

The 'dress' command will have the character automatically pick up items and wear them according to a preset outfit, decided by the player. To use the command, type in 'dress <outfit name>'. For example, if you have an outfit called 'hunting', type in 'dress hunting'. More information on creating outfits below.

@OUTFITS

The '@outfits' command gives the player access to a menu in which he or she can create an 'outfit' for the character.

- a dis?robe alias has been added for the undress command. You can type 'disrobe' or simply 'disr' in order to undress.

adopt <pet name>

You can only adopt a dog when its owner is dead or if the player of the owner hasn't logged in for six RL months. Adopting a pet is possible only when you've established enough rapport with it for it to trust you.

GUARD
      ex: say to guard Guard Ranan
      The bodyguard will follow and guard Ranan to the best of his ability.

FOLLOW
      ex: say to guard Follow Ranan
      This will tell the bodyguard to follow someone around, but not necessarily guard him or her.

STAY
      ex: say to guard Stay here
      This will tell the bodyguard to wait at the current location. Servants will be hesitant to wait in dangerous places.

STOP
      ex: say to guard Stop!
      This will tell the bodyguard to stop everything he's doing. This includes guarding, following, or attacking someone else.

GIVE
      ex: say to guard Give me your shield.
      This will tell the bodyguard to return a piece of equipment that you've given him. More information on servant inventories below.

ex: say to guard Report to me what happened.
      The servant will tell you any notable events or occurances which happened since you last asked. In the case of bodyguards, this will be any acts of violence or thievery that they have witnessed lately.

To cash in a bank note, simply offer it to the clerk and, if everything's in order, he will arrange everything for you.

Comment

I've been doing something like this on my site.

http://xfuj.com/tec/

some stuff that i'm yet to add;

Code:
        writing
          dip quill in jar
          write on parch [in language]
          read parch
          show parch to her
          seal parch with ring
          label parch label
        cards
          shuffle cards
          deal 5 cards to me, her, him
          discard III of Swords|cards
          restore cards
        butterfly catching
          get net
          get jar
          app butt
          get butt
        misc items
          pull comb
          scrape teeth with toothscraper
          scrape me with strigil
          pull razor
          roll dice
          play flute
          rub soap
        paton/client
          invite
          discharge
          release?
          clients
          hire
          fire
          employees
          accept
          holdings
        wa commands
          @account
          @rps
          @top-ten
          @forum
          @mail on me
          @read #
          @page
          @pk-by-guild?
          @random-name
          play [char num]
          prefs
          preferenses
          who
        misc
          lay, sit, kneel, stand
          passive
        combat
          approach/retreat
          wield weapon/wear cestus
          free me/weapon
          yank weapon
          attack person aim
          stance: defensive, wary, normal, aggressive, berserk
          fight: all-out, , , , toyingly
          practice
        courses
          3-parter
            climb rope, strength
            go plank, perception
            go path, speed
          4-parter
            jump rope, dexterity
            go path, agility
            go track, endurance
            go coals, willpower
          5-parter
            climb rope, strength
            jump rope, dex
            go track, speed?
            go plank, perception
            go coals, willpower
        offering
          offer
          sell
          accept
          decline

Comment

@command all

proclaim ! Bums.
          'A man in a black hooded cape responds from afar, "What's up?"'
          'Scott responds from afar, "NP"'
          'Scott responds from afar, "You can share the poop with me too."'
          'Scott responds from afar, "Idjit."'
          'Bruce responds from afar, "Would you drop that bush, please?"'
          'Testudo responds from afar, "What exactly is a 'magical' berry?"'
          'Bactrian responds from afar, "Well that's freakish."'
          'You sit down in a recliner covered in SirLocke's pants.'
          'You are holding Bruce in both hands.'
          'You are holding Bruce in your arms.'
          'Jenn responds from afar, "roflmao"'
          'Japes says, "What? No one's found the holy grail and the magical sword of the worm temple yet? Wow."'
          'Japes says, "Oops. Shouldn't mention anything."'
          'Japes says to you, "Sorry, PK tickets aren't available on buildings."'
          'Jenn responds from afar, "Stop trying to aim weapon catch, you silly man."'
          -Within these forums rest my legacy-
          There's no "I" in "team," but there is in "winner."
          In Loving Memory... 11/27/05-12/01/05

Comment

@command is very outdated.

Comment

You can go through your WA forums with

@read next

also..

share <coins> with <person, person, person>

which is a great, very useful command.

Let's say you have 48 cents.

share cents with Marnevel, Enkar, M'Kerron

will give you, Marnevel, Enkar, and M'kerron 12 cents each.

If you type

share cents with Marnevel, Enkar, M'Kerron, Marnevel, me

It will give Enkar and M'kerron 8 cents each, and Marnevel and you will get 16 cents each.

Comment

BEHEAD <corpse>
                Will remove the head from the corpse. Can only be done to creatures with heads. Removes the description of the face/head from the corpse.

IMPALE <head>
                While wielding a spear, use this command to impale a head. This will render the spear all but useless for battle purposes.

PUSH <spear with a head on it>
                While standing in an open outdoor space, use this command to "plant" the spear permanently in place.

Mechanics have been implemented to label pieces of paper. With an inked quill in hand, simply LABEL <paper> [with] <label>. Papers can only be labelled once. Thanks to Takis for the suggestion.

'Follow'
                Directions:
                1. Gesture at yourself
                2. Say to your pet "follow" or "come"

This command will tell your pet to get up and follow you.

'Stay'
                Directions:
                1. Say to your pet "stay" or "sit"

This will cause your pet to stop following you and stay at that particular spot.

Auto-Discard-Retrieval!
                You can now automatically 'retrieve' recent things you've discarded without GM assistance. There is still a 100 RP cost. Use the 'retrieve' command by itself to see a list of things you've recently discarded, then 'retrieve <object>' to recover it.

To sell an item, you must have it in your hand, just as if you were offering it to someone. The exception to this is dogs, for which you must be the master. Then type:

sell item to user for # currency

Currently, you must use the full name of the currency. An example:

sell veal to Joeschmoe for 5 sens

Joeschmoe will be prompted, and he can choose to ignore the offer, or to accept it with:

accept Janedoe

Just the same as with offering. Joeschmoe must have enough money on hand in order for the transaction to take place.

As an added feature, at banks the money will be taken from and transferred to the respective characters' accounts.

The patterns of words in the new social commands can vary based upon how complex the concept being expressed is:

> adverb verb preposition target speech-text
                > verb adverb preposition target speech-text
                > verb target speech-text
                > verb target

Comment

One I keep forgetting but often need, and then I have to go through the entire @commands list to find it:

STOW <container>

When your hands are full and you want to pick up something else, you'll automically put the items you're holding in the container you assigned it to.
                  ZAPlist
                  Marnevel - Blackening - Sirlocke
                  Braelynne - Airlea - Abbot

Comment

Hate to say it but a lot of these have already been stickied.

http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.php?threadid=29459

Feel free to add to it.
                    Macro

There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not outside, not on other people. That comes afterwards, when you have worked on your own corner.
                    - Aldous Huxley

Comment

It has to do with this:

The patterns of words in the new social commands can vary based upon how complex the concept being expressed is:

> adverb verb preposition target speech-text
                      > verb adverb preposition target speech-text
                      > verb target speech-text
                      > verb target

Experiment with it some and you should pick it up.

Ex.:

smile shane Thanks.
                      You smile to Shane, "Thanks."

(I think that works. If it don't, it's something similar.)

Comment

Hrm. Always wondered about this:

Is @patron-report only for the use of patrician characters? Or if a patroned headcount @patron-reports to his or her patron, will their patron receive a message somewhere?
                        Go here. Y'know you want to.

"I'm the hand up Mona Lisa's skirt. I'm a surprise, Kevin. They never see me comin'." - Al Pacino, The Devil's Advocate

It's scientific fact that intelligence is directly proportional to the number of idiots you piss off.
                        Originally posted by Japes
                        To quote Bruce, "Ego sum rex Romanus, et super gramattica."

Comment

It's a channel designed solely to allow characters to communicate with NPC patrons.

Comment

the cartwheel command.

This is fun.
                            Go here. Y'know you want to.

"I'm the hand up Mona Lisa's skirt. I'm a surprise, Kevin. They never see me comin'." - Al Pacino, The Devil's Advocate

It's scientific fact that intelligence is directly proportional to the number of idiots you piss off.
                            Originally posted by Japes
                            To quote Bruce, "Ego sum rex Romanus, et super gramattica."

Comment

@beta-coin
                              @beta-gsp

Money and SP for characters playtesting the Steps.

Comment

Working...
                              X