Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hizerimus
    replied
    The problem here is that many people who have new characters, that can not hunt in certain areas but still require money to train, loot those areas. You wouldn't believe the number of times I walked into the sands and found bronze laying all over the ground. The local clean up would destroy items that could be used by others.

Just do this idea for worthless items, rather than them all.

Leave a comment:

• Apocolipsnow
    replied
    the way it was explained to me, was that random items in areas of the game does not create lag. But in my experience, it does. If I walk into a square with large amounts of 'trash' or broken shields, or any items laying on the ground, it takes a bit of time for the 'look' command to kick in, not that Im any expert or anything.
    Usually try and clean most of it up, but in certain hunting grounds, its very difficult, since I get either attacked or cannot discard large amounts of 'trash'. With the current bugs (mine is: I cannot find a place to stowe some grayish-black ash that I dont even have in the first place) it makes it even more of a problem...

Leave a comment:

• Mizzy
    replied
    isn't about preventing lag, its about keeping the game environment clean. How about instead of being snarky, you post something constructive about the topic?

-M

Originally posted by original poster
    After being frustrated for years with how messy the play base is even contrary to everyone knowing that if you are hunting in a hunting ground, if you toss out the garbage after you leave the game will be less laggy....
    Um. The topic was lag created by game world trash.

Leave a comment:

• Rupert
    replied
    Because after player for 10 years, Marnevel has earned the right to do so, without paying or playing the game now.

*eyeshift*

Leave a comment:

• alteredbeast
    replied
    Originally posted by Marnevel View Post
    That's a good idea. Add some timers and hope it prevents lag.

Adding one timer to each hunting ground isn't enough! Let's now add timers to every single item instead.

... Good sir, I don't believe this idea is feasible at this time.
    This isn't about preventing lag, its about keeping the game environment clean. How about instead of being snarky, you post something constructive about the topic?

-M

Leave a comment:

• NewPatriot
    replied
    I was fond of item cleanup around 5am. Dunno how feasible it would be now.

Leave a comment:

• Marnevel
    replied
    Originally posted by alteredbeast View Post
    It would be better if it could be set to reset to default after an hour or more of having no player activity there. That way the only things "destroyed" there would be stuff people decided not to take when they left the area.
    That's a good idea. Add some timers and hope it prevents lag.

Originally posted by alteredbeast View Post
    But I think it would be easier if they just added rot code to animal parts that the Carcass Buyer will not buy, as well as destroyed shields, twigs, and other useless junk that accumulates.
    Adding one timer to each hunting ground isn't enough! Let's now add timers to every single item instead.

... Good sir, I don't believe this idea is feasible at this time.

Leave a comment:

• mikeand
    replied
    I like to see how long of a list of corpses and skinned stuff I can mass up and then leave for the next person to see. Its like a pride thing.

Leave a comment:

• Misty X
    replied
    We should also get seamless backups.

Leave a comment:

• alteredbeast
    replied
    Having it set at certain times would ultimately screw people out of loot if they happen to be hunting there at the time.

It would be better if it could be set to reset to default after an hour or more of having no player activity there. That way the only things "destroyed" there would be stuff people decided not to take when they left the area.

But I think it would be easier if they just added rot code to animal parts that the Carcass Buyer will not buy, as well as destroyed shields, twigs, and other useless junk that accumulates.

It doesn't even need a visible echo. Just have junk disappear. Twigs return to the forest floor, destroyed shields get overgrown by flora and fauna, body parts get eaten by insects, etc.

-M

Leave a comment:

• Zenerai
    replied
    Originally posted by Rupert View Post
    Max is absolutely right about everything. Ever.
    Fixed for truth

Leave a comment:

• Rupert
    replied
    Max is absolutely right.

Leave a comment:

• Max Powers
    replied
    Originally posted by zeldaiscool View Post
    if you toss out the garbage after you leave the game will be less laggy....
    Unfortunately you are completely wrong. This has been stated by multiple gm's. Deleting items does not remove the code from the server. Way to start bashing the playerbase for being so 'lazy' in a game they pay for though (Y).

Leave a comment:

• Ilaxandus
    replied
    Wouldn't this create lag? If so, dump it into the backups. They're laggy for 3 hours anyway.

Leave a comment:

• zeldaiscool
    started a topic A quick cleaning

A quick cleaning

The Problem

After being frustrated for years with how messy the play base is even contrary to everyone knowing that if you are hunting in a hunting ground, if you toss out the garbage after you leave the game will be less laggy....

I decided to take my characters to various hunting areas to clean them out in hopes that it was maybe people in the past who were to lazy to clean up and the general current playerbase was cleaning up after themselves. After all i think its pretty common knowledge at the moment that if there is less item garbage around there will be less lag. And im pretty certain everyone who plays at the moment has or currently is complaining about the lag.

Obviously asking the player base to clean up after themselves is to much to expect. That being said i'm wondering if the games can take over and how hard it would be to program in the following...

Possible Solution

Manual Reset Idea

Basically a quick reset button to have the hunting areas "return to default" the default setting being exactly the same as it is right now however void of the massive piles of garbage that players leave there after a hunting trip.

I would guess the best way to do it would be to have hunting areas set on an individual reset like reset complex, reset dumps etc....

Now I understand that a gm having to manually reset every hunting ground would take time due to the vast amount of hunting areas in game....

Auto Reset Idea

So if there is to much time being taken away from GM's with a manual reset.... would it be much harder to program it to take effect every 24 hours, with a warning 5 minutes before saying Dumps reset in 5 minutes viewable only to those in that area so they can pick up the crap they have on the ground and not complain about loosing the loot they gathered...

Like i said though, the simple solution would be for people just to pick up and discard their junk, but i think we have all figured out that that just isnt going to happen.
Working...
X