Announcement

Collapse

The Great Skotos Split Is Here [UPDATED]

The long-planned Skotos split is here. We are going to be separating Skotos into the four games that we're passing off to individual players (Marrach, TEC, the game formerly known as Ironclaw Online, the game formerly known as Lazarus Sleeping), and in the near future the core Skotos site will shutdown.

Here's how it will work:
* On Monday, we will turn off the ability to make any purchases through the main site. This will be the end of credit card purchases for Skotos games.
* We will run final automated credit card purchases on Tuesday morning. This is typical, in that our regular subscriptions are always set to run on the 1st through the 28th.
* On Wednesday, we will begin converting the games over to the new auth server that I've been working on for the last month and a half. All data will be converted over from the moment I grab the database. This means that all of your account information, including all payments (but not including any credit card information or Paypal information) will be duped to all the games: you'll be able to play any of them for the time you'd previously paid at the main Skotos site.
* We'll then start integrating the individual sites for each game with the new stand-alone setup.
* And likely I'll be resolving bugs in the auth server that only turn up through extensive usage.
* Meanwhile, we'll start handing off games to the individuals who will be running it in the future. I'm at this point over the time I'd initially committed to Skotos by a bit more than three weeks, but I'm expecting I'll need to offer support a little into May to make sure everyone is running well and that I've helped Christopher, Skotos, and the game leads deal with any intricacies of the hand-off.
* We'll request that all games remove all information from users who didn't stick with their game within a year.

I hope this will go as smoothly as possible. There will surely be bumps in the road. In particular, expect some random downtimes on Wednesday, when I convert over the games to the new servers, and expect the potential for problems on *next* Thursday, when I see how things work in the new setup.

A Few Updates as of 5/3:

1.) Castle Marrach, TEC, and Allegory of Empires are now split out from the main Skotos UserDB, which is the first (and biggest) step in separating these games. Multiversal Revelations will follow on Monday.

2.) Each site has a new login page of the form login.itsdomainname. This is the proper place to login to that game, and where you should access all UserDB functionality. Anything you do on the main Skotos users pages will no longer be reflected. Yes, that means you should be using the new pages to update your accounts, purchase months of play, and purchase subscriptions. Credit card payments are no longer possible, but Paypal is.

3.) Skotos is still running the games as of this moment, but they'll be transferred to the individual teams by this time next month.

4.) We've had some problems with credit cards continuing to run on the older UserDB system. We've refunded any bills that went through on the main system following the split, and apologize for the inconvenience. The plan is to turn the old UserDB off tomorrow, so that will absolutely stop the bills at this point. If you were accidentally billed, do note both that the amount was refunded the same day AND it isn't reflected on the new systems. [And as of Monday morning, those old charges seem to have been halted entirely.]

5.) We've discovered that about 20 accounts have credits of various amounts of them. This is a concept that is no longer supported in any meaningful way on the new UserDB, so we'll convert those credits to days of play at the most generous ratio.
See more
See less

100% Guarantee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100% Guarantee

From being here from the start almost and seeing TEC now, I'd almost guarantee a huge increase in are pbase again by removing skill cap, I mean what fun is it going to the Colosseum to fight against someone when you both get almost the same sp gain per week? Where is the competitive edge in that?
    Or catching up to rival enemies? Losing a huge character and having to start over? I'm not saying make it some huge bonus but way better than what it is now that way people can catch up to others and countless other things. I bet if it was tested out, advertised you would see a huge increase in player volume.
    Not to mention it would increase people to take chances.

Anyways I know it would raise player base and increase votes if it was raised better than what it is now.

Or atleast minimal cap way higher to give those who train harder purpose!
    Yes, Greatly!
    22.45%
    No you're a crazy person!
    77.55%

The poll is expired.

You mean you want the min sp gain rate raised more?
    "I would have written of me on my stone: I had a lover's quarrel with the world," Robert Frost

Comment

Yes, raised higher than it is... Somewhere at .06 or .09 end cap no lower than that.

Think 3 days before cycle I'm at .01 and I use 8-9 attacks in that skill set and rotate hunting grounds.. I mean .01 that's 100 swings per 1 sp I don't do that many swings in one hunting session!

Comment

You are only giving two choices. Failure.

Comment

I know a secret. You can actually get up to 1500ish sp every week,not just 300ish.

Play more than one character - Premiums can have up to five.
          Game Master Tale
          Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Creativity is putting tomatoes in a fruit salad to make mango salsa. Philosophy is wondering if that means ketchup is actually a smoothie. Common Sense is knowing that no, ketchup is not a smoothie.

Comment

agreed

I do agree to that. I find that I can reach min sp in a day or so then I usually take the week off then wait until Wednesday. I don't feel that it would raise the player base but it would definitely make more people play more often. I remember the days of no sp cap when axes first came out and buddy(forgot his name) reached GM in axes in a matter of days.... Those were the good old days. Then again no sp cap/better minimal gains means more scripters which means more work for the GM's. Double ended sword I guess.

Comment

I want to know Tale's secret! Unless playing five characters was the secret.

To be honest, I am only in my second cycle since my return, so I probably have not seen the system quite as it is supposed to be as yet.
              When I last properly played in March '07, I was one that was hurt by the SP gain system as it was, I would venture to different hunting Grounds, and spar alot (quite a few high ranked fighters), without Tears in a 5-day+ stint of training, I would struggled to make 200-225sp at the very most. It was draining, and I had the help of my usual Tear-run at the time, to push me to 280-300 or so, IIRC.

In my first day back (I heard they have a system for characters that have been away, faster SP gain up to 900sp in total or something), I gained 200sp in a manner of hours. 100 from the Old City, 100 from the Alleys. Done. It was not necessarily in two runs, I think I did two-three runs max of the Alleys, and maybe two runs of the OC.
              That was my weekly gain under the old system.

I went on to make 400sp that cycle, and when I started playing there were two days remaining.
              This second week, I have trained alot more, and made a nice amount of SP.

This system is not far off the old system, in that you feel your training is payed off if you push to train harder, but it benefits those that cannot spend 10hrs a day IG, unlike the old system. This system favours those who only have a few hours, to make a good amount of SP in a decent amount of time and not leave them trailing behind.

The old System I would get around 7-9sp per Fatigue bar in maybe 15-20mins of hitting Rats, with a 20-25min rest or so. I have the exact numbers in my old notebook. So let's just say around 12sp per hour of training.
              Some people under that system (Knifers too) would be reportedly making 13-15sp per Fatigue Bar, if it were a Knifer he/she would be done of a Fatigue bar in around 10mins or so.
              Yes the older system was infinite, but it also had the "closer success to roll=higher SP gain", this system favours people that do not want to have to spend all day everyday training, and I think that in itself is fantastic.

I realise that I personally, likely will not see how this system really is, until next cycle, or the cycle thereafter, but as it stands, I think it is great. It is by far better than the old system, and better than the [old] system aswell. But that is only how I am currently seeing it.

I have trained really hard this week admittedly, but to be fair, 400sp does not seem terribly bad for a reasonable goal in a matter of days.

How much are you making before reaching these "Minimum Gains"? How long are you actually training for?
              Personally, I much prefer 400sp in a few days of reasonable training, than 250sp training all day everyday for 5+ days, or 500sp for training 5days+ and 6-8hrs a day.

Like I said, I am likely not seeing the system quite as it is meant to be as yet, if it is nowhere near as good as I am currently seeing it, then maybe I will come back and cry next week.

Comment

I have no qualms with the current setup. It's possible to make well over 500 a week, every week, if you want to put forth the effort. Even at min gains, one fatigue bar will still generate 6-7sp easily. Making the system any faster/easier would only lead to more skilled griefers.

Comment

Originally posted by Fanton View Post
                  Think 3 days before cycle I'm at .01 and I use 8-9 attacks in that skill set and rotate hunting grounds.. I mean .01 that's 100 swings per 1 sp I don't do that many swings in one hunting session!
                  Minimum gains is .025 so you'll usually be able to purchase one rank every fatigue bar.

Remember that raising minimum gains would also be a boon for your opponents. A universal change like this would net you no competitive advantage beyond the graduated RB system of just having lower ranks.

Also, I see no reason that this would increase the playerbase. This change appeals to 'hardcore' fans, most of whom already have premium. The on-and-off guys benefit most from the current rollover and low weekly yield system. And it's unlikely that true-blue newbs will change their minds about a game because the XP system has been tweaked from something they didn't know to something they don't know.

~~~

.025 is a very low reward-for-time threshold but it still gives an edge to those players willing to play more.
                  Signature.

Comment

Increasing min gains would have the opposite effect you are looking for. It would only widen the margin between the scripters and non scripters.
                    Spectatum veniunt, veniunt spectentur ut ipsae.

-- Ovid

<Iason thinks aloud: HELP!>

Comment

Min gains is .025, also, all this change would do is make the scripters/botters get 2k instead of 1k a cycle making it even harder to compete with them. Then again I bet some of them are already getting 1.3k depending on how much they focus on powerlvling.

Anywho the change would have no results. Whats gonna happen, (if they even come back ) they're gonna come back. Get maxed quickly. Get bored, because they wont get very much rank bonus anymore cause ranks passed 200 are basically such low sp you need someone who wants a god complex or has a script program to want to go passed 200 ranks. (ps: I know you cant exactly get maxed, I was considering 200/200 for useful attacks and 200/200 defenses)

The only ones who wouldn't get bored from getting good so fast would be the people already scripting their hearts out.

Comment

The way the system is now it's really easy to get sp. I've gotten 1889 sp over four cycles now its not hard people and I dont think it needs to be changed.

https://www.mmaexpose.com/FighterDetails.aspx?fID=70

Comment

Then the system is broke for me, I made 250 sps and am at .01 gain i didn't make no 1k, i used 9 attacks, rotated hunting grounds, hunted alot, switched to my thief and went back to my main through the cycle, that just discourages me that people are allowed to make 400-1k and im stuck at 250 a cycle??

And some of you who are clearing 500-1k sps a cycle well thats simple its called roll over sp from you being gone, that will changed and you will get the same gains.

Also you people saying that its fine, how long have you been here, how big are you, maybe you don't want people to catch you so you can play king of the hill?

What about people who's stats aren't trained or max there are alot of factors that stop certain people from even making tons of sps.

Scripters will script no matter was the sp system is, and if i remember correctly half the player base left when they capped SP's i remember hunting grounds being so full and active before SP cap, you could not hardly find a spot anywhere. i can name 11 people who left because having the sp system the way it is discourages people, I seen tons of huge people brag that you will never catch them. I mean if you like the SP system the way it is i bet you like a rigged NFL too right? Because it keeps people from never challenging another player, i mean why train for the colosseum others are training just as hard but for 3 days and you'll never catch them, better pray for the flu or they go on vacation for 3 cycles.

I'm not asking for miracle SP I'm just saying that there should atleast be a hardcap for .06 to .09 not .01

Oh, and for training to fast i believe the rank system needs a revamp anyway because rank 100 was the highest ideal rank it needs to be way upped, plus you cannot max ranks and be godly, you need a crew or gang, there is no one person runs everything in this game nor do i believe people will leave just after maxxing skills, the whole point of them maxxing is so they can help there leigo,gang,posse or try to take over Rome!

Comment

1k is only possible if you save up rollover sp. Basically every week you get 300ish (depending on stats and total sp gained)before you hit min gains. You can save up to 900sp in rollover if you don't train for 3 weeks while having an active account. Also, you can't be at .01 because min gains is .025.
                            Spectatum veniunt, veniunt spectentur ut ipsae.

-- Ovid

<Iason thinks aloud: HELP!>

Comment

Uh, you can clear 500 to 1000 just by hunting a lot on min gains, and you cant have .01 per swing, even if you're on min gains unless you're bugged.
                              Ps: You dont have to even cycle once you hit .025, just use your fastest attack and go at it, thats how all the people who get 500 without rollover do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X