Announcement

Collapse

ZEALOTRY Users: Critical Notice on Continued Use

Edit: Our new HTML5 client (Orchil) is now open for beta testing in The Eternal City. Feel free to try give it a whirl at http://test.skotos.net/orchil/

Edit: We have made great strides toward a new HTML5 client, which should offer a replacement to Zealotry. We're hoping to release that in the very near future, but in the meantime, using Pale Moon remains the best method for ensuring there is zero interruption to your game playing during the transition.

As of November 14, Mozilla will be auto-updating all copies of Mozilla Firefox to Mozilla 57, a new edition of their browser that will disable all legacy add-ons. This will probably include the majority of the plug-ins that you use on Mozilla, including the Skotos Zealotry plug-in.

This is a big problem for us because Zealotry is the most stable of our clients at this time, and the one that we believe is in the widest use. There's unfortunately no easy way to update it, because we'd have to rewrite it from practically scratch, using their new programming system.

There are tricks that you could use to to prevent Mozilla updates, but we don't particularly suggest them, as you want to have a clean, secure browser. Fortunately, there are two alternative browsers that will support Zealotry. Each of them branched off of an earlier version of Mozilla Firefox, and each of them continues to be updated for important security issues.

Pale Moon Browser

The Pale Moon browser is our suggested replacement. It is a totally separate browser that branched off of Firefox some years ago. It will continue to support the classic plug-ins.

To install it:
  • Install Pale Moon (Windows & UNIX only)
  • Install the Zealotry XPI on Pale Moon
  • Restart the Pale Moon Browser
  • Play on Pale Moon

The official version of Pale Moon only supports Windows and UNIX, but you can also get a slightly less official version of Pale Moon for the Mac. We've tested it out and it looks like it's clean and works correctly, but use your own level of caution in working with the Mac variant.

Mozilla Firefox ESR

An alternative for all users, but especially for Mac users, is Mozilla's extended-release version of Firefox that branched at Firefox 52. It's expected to remain supported until at least June 28, 2016, by which time Mozilla is planning to jump their ESR to a post-plugin phase. This is therefore a short-term solution, but one that should work for a while longer.

To install it:
The Big Picture

Our larger-scale goal is to introduce a new client that will be usable on any browser and make our games generally more accessible. We've had a HTML5 client in process since last year, but are currently hitting roadblocks that make a deployment before November 14 problematic. We've also just started a second project, which would be more specifically focused as a Zealotry replacement, without worries about new bells or new whistles. Both of these possibilities are being done out-of-house, by Skotos players, but they're receiving our highest level of attention for whatever support they need, as this is all our top priority.

So, consider this a short-term fix, but in the meantime if you use Zealotry, please download one of the alternative browsers and test them out ASAP.
See more
See less

Tips for new players

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for new players

Welcome new citizen,

In order to better facilitate you acclimation to society, we have come up with several suggestions:

If haven’t already situated yourself within your personal residence, please travel to the Apartment Complex located in the southeast sector of Alpha Colony. You will find a welcome kit waiting for you inside your apartment.

Remember to activate your neural communication implants to allow distant communications. You can ask questions or simply socialize with other parties not located in your immediate vicinity. (Type – ‘Com on’ – to activate.)

Additional information is provided within our administrative database. (Type – ‘Help Game’ – to see topics).

If you wish to become a productive member of society, it is suggested that you visit the DNA Research Lab and undertake one or more of the assignments available. These assignments will give you basic training in several skills, as well as provide additional funds to your account.

Basic goods, clothing and foodstuffs are available in the many shops located in the Pyramid building. Feel free to just browse and examine our products before purchasing.

In order to increase your funds, please consider supplying Doctor Phibes with specimens for his valuable research. The electromagnetic train, located in the Northern Sector, can reach the wilderness areas outside the colony. Various creatures can be captured and brought back for study, and fossils can be retrieved from caverns and underground tunnels.

Educational access cards are available within the Ministry of Science, where one can learn new skills and obtain lessons from our astute professors. You may improve your basic knowledge in animal dissection and preservation, geomechanical mining, sonic fishing, and general combat. As you improve in each skill, you may return for further lessons.

If you wish to undertake your own scientific experiments, we have recently stocked a supply of laboratory animals for your own study. Genetically engineered rodents may be purchased within the Animal Shop, located just west of our Animal Exhibit/Experimentation Center. Upgrade kits are also available, which can be used to improve the mental capacity of your animal specimens.

Alpha Colony currently needs to fill several open positions. If you are interested in administrative, security or scientific occupations, please seek out the government officials who are hiring. Public announcements will also be made, for spots that need immediate filling.

We here at Alpha Colony hope you continue being a productive and fulfilled member of society. You may learn more at: http://www.lazarus-project.net

Thoughts from a new player

Thank you to the older players for their willingness to help out - it is a challenging gameworld to understand.

Other than just exploring, I feel like I'm stuck. I'm not aware that there are any other means for me to develop character skills other than through errands from Dr. Phibes. Unfortunately, the second task I was given is proving very difficult. I have not yet succeeded and I've been unable to heal myself due to lack of credits. I will fail if not for the kindnesses of other players.

So, in effect, it would quickly be game over if I needed to be independent and I wouldn't bother to play again. This is not so good. I wonder if there shouldn't be a beggar's clinic for new characters who cannot pay for treatment.. leave them scarred and messed up for a while until they can afford to pay for decent medical services

Comment

Slightly improved thoughts...

I just figured out how to get my daily allotment of funds.. by tapping my bracelet.

Comment

I'd also like to thank the older players who have been helping out. I really appreciate it.

And I also realize some things may seem confusing at first. I'd advise new players to read over existing help files (type 'HELP GAME' to see topics) and also use the com channel if they get stuck. You can ask your fellow players for help, from any location in the game, by using com.

You can also feel free to page any guides you see online (currently Morpheus), as well as myself, if you need help. Other options are to leave assists (but it may take up to a day or so to get a response) or the forums right here.

Comment

cant learn wont learn

so passed all the assignments .... got to the point where i,m just out there supposedly doing whatever i want, usually mining... got me skills up mining card.. but... no matter how many times i get the message ... your brain is due for another lesson ...i cant get one, no no no i cant get none

been to the dr , he says come back when your brain is ready .. offer him my card and still nothing ... been going on for months, what can i do ??

Comment

I haven't had any reports of major bugs with professors/teaching yet. And I know several characters who have increased their mining skills.

Page me (or a guide) next time you are on, and we can straighten it out. It may be something simple, like using the wrong command, or not using the correct education card.

Comment

Originally posted by jlewis View Post
              Thank you to the older players for their willingness to help out - it is a challenging gameworld to understand.

Other than just exploring, I feel like I'm stuck. I'm not aware that there are any other means for me to develop character skills other than through errands from Dr. Phibes. Unfortunately, the second task I was given is proving very difficult. I have not yet succeeded and I've been unable to heal myself due to lack of credits. I will fail if not for the kindnesses of other players.

So, in effect, it would quickly be game over if I needed to be independent and I wouldn't bother to play again. This is not so good. I wonder if there shouldn't be a beggar's clinic for new characters who cannot pay for treatment.. leave them scarred and messed up for a while until they can afford to pay for decent medical services

This is for myself as well. I hate to be critical. But it seems that the new Skotos Alice client games are primarily for those who play Skotos Alice games.

It seems that only old experienced and "primarily" Skotos CM users know the "secret" commands that are not told in the help files.

The Help files are useless to new users. I had several problems today because I did not know the "secret" {{{ not in the help files }}} commands.

The first dealt with the pod transportation.

__
              The second: My primary character is still struggling with. That is the second missive from Doctor Phibes. My character has to capture a critter and dissect it. Finally got the lesson from the right professor. However, he has to learn a combat skill - a gun.

He arrives to the weapons trainer. He "asks Instructor". All is good. But then the option learn a lesson in weapons. But the instructor gives no lesson just gives my character a "plastic gun". WTF!!??! Ok. I look up "help gun." Ah, the room over has shooting stalls to practice. Great! Character goes to shooting stall.

Push novice target
              Aim target

Now the problem comes in.... "Help gun" says.... Shoot target
              I type: "Shoot target" with plastic gun to get practice.
              I get the command: "you do not have any weapon skills to shoot gun."

WTF???!!!
              I was suppose to ask the instructor for a lesson in that. All he gave me was a stupid plastic gun. WTF am I suppose to do. Go to the wilderness with a plastic stupid gun. Aim it at a critter and say "bang bang?" Typed "Help gun for the twentieth time." Help file is no help. Nothing there. Instructor won't teach anything in combat. Cause I asked him twice already.

But I guess those who worship the Alice client commands and service and know all the secret commands to lazarus [that will not be written into the help files] do know.

Yes, this is a rant. These are simple problems that NON SKOTOS ALICE CLIENT USERS WILL HAVE.

hate to think what would happen if my character had a real problem IG.
              Back to Expat Living...but not to a war zone area

_//*ll^ll*\\_

Sceadu responds from afar, "I'm going to test something on you if you don't mind. "
              Sceadu responds from afar, "What just happened? Anything?"

Comment

aim [practice gun] at target - this gives you the initial "starting" skill.
                to hunt:
                wield {pistol, rifle, netgun...}
                shoot {frog, hare, bat, Xenomorph, Player name}

The @help basics will point you to the @help combat section

Which gives the following information in part:
                Title: Combat

Important Commands: shoot [target], wield [weapon], open [weapon], close [weapon], load [weapon]

General command for attacking a target using projectile weapons is:

SHOOT
                [TARGET].

Additional commands: Turn [rifle dial] "0-100", put [battery] in [rifle]
                Plastic stupid gun is clearly labled "Practice Gun" which is why it is free.

If you need help then look for people wearing blue badges or a blue bracelet. We are the Alpha Orientation Committee (AOC) - here to help you acclimate.

My nick is Fionn in Lazarus. I'm a member of the AOC.

I stumbled a bit getting my bearings initially, but I would have done that in any MU* - because I don't play a lot of them. Lots of people were willing to help me out. I'm sorry you are having trouble acclimating, but you don't play every board game with the same set of rules.

Playing Monopoly with Scrabble rules would suck.
                First Patient of Mendus
                Manchester's 'Accident Prone' Patient

SPCade "And by we I mean Nyx"
                PL: Fionn (Fionnghuala)
                CM: Finella
                ICO: Thera
                LC: Belle Griffin

The Underground Starts Here!

Comment

Originally posted by Fionnghuala View Post
                  Playing Monopoly with Scrabble rules would suck.
                  I'm sorry but, what what what?!? Monopoly + Scrabble rules = Crazy fun goodness, with a chewy almondy center.

Anyway, half-serious now. I've noticed certain things are confusing for those new to LP/Skotos in general, so I figured I post some User-made Helpfiles for the Newly Hatched. Mainly one big blob that is unorganized, beware:

1) The goo that is like poo. Go west. Lie in pool. Not lay, but lie.
                  2) Clothes?!?! Preposterous. Look in my bag. Get jumpsuit from my bag. Wear my jumpsuit.
                  3) The NPCs with stuff for you. Ask <NPC> I.E Ask Doorman. Enter the number of your choice> 1/2/3/4.
                  4) The Pods. Pull latch, push north button, push south button, or push food button. Wait.....'hear' the door click. Open door. Up.
                  5) The Bracelet. Tap my bracelet. Receive your money and do a little dance.
                  6) The Weapons. Go to Instructor Smith in the back of the weapon shop. He does -NOT- require a card for your introductory lesson. I stress this because people get confused with it a million times. Ask Smith. 3 (I think). East. Enter 1st stall. Push novice button. Wield my practice gun. Aim my practice gun at target. Remove my practice gun. Buy a real gun. Find a trashcan. Throw my practice gun in trashcan. Wield my pulse rifle. Shoot 1st hopfrog.
                  7) Healing Stations. Sit in 1st station. Close 1st station.

If I'm missing something you think the newlies struggle with just add it yourself. I know I left something out, I can't remember what. I'm tired and on morphine at the moment, yay for bears that maul the men that feed them.
                  Oi, thats what it was.

8)Wonderful world of the Com system. Just type 'com' by itself, no quotes, to get a list of commands you can use with it.
                  Last edited by Zek; 04-27-2007, 12:38 PM.

Comment

I'm sorry you had difficulties figuring some things out.

The problem you had has to do less with Alice, and more with the general commands to the game. But that would pop up with any new game, most likely, as it takes a little time to learn how a game's commands work.

I updated the practice guns, so now if a character tries to shoot it, they'll get a message that they need to aim it at a weaponry stall target, instead.

If you, or any new player, runs into problems, feel free to page me, ask other players, or use our com system, which allows you to ask everyone in-game a question, regardless of where they are located.

Comment

1. Help files, which one do I need: @help basic

2. This isn't working for me: @assist 'this isn't working for me, send help

3. I think I have a bug : @bug 'where I was standing, what I was trying to do, what error message or odd text I see

4. What to you mean there are player forums with IC stuff? @forum

5. Ack! I need some help attempting to make something fun happen in game. Can I get a bruise added to my face temporarily? Story Host? Story Guide? Hey where you at? @page <name of Storystaffer>

6. Character? I'm a character? How do I ask questions as a Player and not a character?

a. How do I ask questions about the game mechanics or just to tell people I have to go let my dog out? @ooc 'brb I have to let my dog out. Hey I can't figure out the way this command works, can you help me?

b. I have a com chip and I know how to use it - com 'ooc: brb I have to let the dog out

7. Stop asking me questions because I have left to go get dinner @away

8. Attack! Someone just head butted me but I am still at full health. Only computer critters do damage that shows on your health meter. However you can agree on physical damage with another PC or Story Staffer, in which case you are on the honor system to deal with it in a semi-realistic way.

9. Don't touch me! You can set your consent by person or for everyone at the same time: @consent allow <PC name> @consent allow All @consent deny all @consent deny <PC name>

10. Someone free emoted touching me and bypassed the consent. Two methods of dealing with that
                      a. IC find a Recruit of the Security Ministry and file an IG complaint
                      b. file an @assist and ask for help resolving the issue.

I'm editing this to remind new players
                      One of the first things you should buy is a shielding device from the weaponry shop.
                      command - turn shield 'number (1 to 100)

My first character died by frog swarm. It can happen to you too.
                      Buy it. Wear it before you got out into the wilderness
                      Last edited by Fionnghuala; 04-28-2007, 02:33 PM. Reason: typo demons & safety
                      First Patient of Mendus
                      Manchester's 'Accident Prone' Patient

SPCade "And by we I mean Nyx"
                      PL: Fionn (Fionnghuala)
                      CM: Finella
                      ICO: Thera
                      LC: Belle Griffin

The Underground Starts Here!

Comment

Reminder that the first training you recieve is Basic/Remedial, the first 10% of the skill.

For Access cards that you buy, 11% to something like 70 or 80 % you will need SECONDARY access cards (or neural devices)

Tertiary cards are for when you get to the nosebleed skill levels

Comment

Just a little note about @consent. If you have <@consent allow all> on and you do @consent deny Zek, Zek can still touch you.

Comment

Originally posted by Botanist Posala View Post
                            Reminder that the first training you recieve is Basic/Remedial, the first 10% of the skill.

For Access cards that you buy, 11% to something like 70 or 80 % (incorrect see below) you will need SECONDARY access cards (or neural devices)

Tertiary cards are for when you get to the nosebleed skill levels
                            Correction: Tertiary cards start when you train for 61% and higher.

Comment

So I'm new. I'm a CM user. I understand the Skotos Client.

I think this is a rather confusing game.

Don't get me wrong, several people have been more than helpful.

Isabella, Ferren, Fionn, SB Telemachus, Quill to name a few.

But for the most part, they helped me get settled and my knowledge of IG stuff is still rather limited. I've scoured the help topics and maybe I am missing stuff but amongst the list:

1. Why am I here? I understand the need not to reveal the whole story...but nothing has been told to me or revealed to me by IG mechanics that says "You're here, deal with it."

2. Computer, Tablet, Bracelet interaction with machines in general. I've learned the pod, through watching others, same with COM (I still haven't had that I have neural implants explained to me). I've learned buying stuff. Other than that, it is an odd experience. I can understand there are not alot of people thats fine, I guess the point is...I don't think the help files are very ...helpful.

3. IG, I've tried to play the...I'm new and know nothing card AND people have been warm and welcoming....but its still a "Oh you don't know about Monty? oh well." and the scene continues. It feels like there is a bit of an already existing RP circle that is a bit hard to break into.

4. This might just be me. but on the map.....how am I to know that WEP is weapons depot or HAT is hatchery? This is easily the most confusing concept to me, a key somewhere would go a very long way to helping me. I've lightly scoured the forum but didn't not find it.

Now, please don't read this and yell at me. I'm just giving my info as I'm new and I'm sure in the time to come all of this will become second nature. Very second nature. I just figured as a new game...this might be useful for others to consider. Other than that...I can't even tell you how long I've been waiting for this game to come out. So far it looks great.
                              -Head of Houseold/Valet to Lord Vestio
                              -Courtier of Her Majesty's Royal Court

Comment

Working...
                              X