Announcement

Collapse

SkotOS Downtown: Wednesday, 11am-1pm PT

I am scheduling a downtime for all SkotOS machines from 11am-1pm PT on Wednesday.
  • Marrach will be going down to upgrade its Operating System
  • Lazarus (and Lovecraft) will be going down to upgrade its Operating System
  • Ironclaw will (hopefully) be going down to tune its performance
See more
See less

Tips for new players

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zek
    replied
    Originally posted by Fionnghuala View Post
    Playing Monopoly with Scrabble rules would suck.
    I'm sorry but, what what what?!? Monopoly + Scrabble rules = Crazy fun goodness, with a chewy almondy center.

Anyway, half-serious now. I've noticed certain things are confusing for those new to LP/Skotos in general, so I figured I post some User-made Helpfiles for the Newly Hatched. Mainly one big blob that is unorganized, beware:

1) The goo that is like poo. Go west. Lie in pool. Not lay, but lie.
    2) Clothes?!?! Preposterous. Look in my bag. Get jumpsuit from my bag. Wear my jumpsuit.
    3) The NPCs with stuff for you. Ask <NPC> I.E Ask Doorman. Enter the number of your choice> 1/2/3/4.
    4) The Pods. Pull latch, push north button, push south button, or push food button. Wait.....'hear' the door click. Open door. Up.
    5) The Bracelet. Tap my bracelet. Receive your money and do a little dance.
    6) The Weapons. Go to Instructor Smith in the back of the weapon shop. He does -NOT- require a card for your introductory lesson. I stress this because people get confused with it a million times. Ask Smith. 3 (I think). East. Enter 1st stall. Push novice button. Wield my practice gun. Aim my practice gun at target. Remove my practice gun. Buy a real gun. Find a trashcan. Throw my practice gun in trashcan. Wield my pulse rifle. Shoot 1st hopfrog.
    7) Healing Stations. Sit in 1st station. Close 1st station.

If I'm missing something you think the newlies struggle with just add it yourself. I know I left something out, I can't remember what. I'm tired and on morphine at the moment, yay for bears that maul the men that feed them.
    Oi, thats what it was.

8)Wonderful world of the Com system. Just type 'com' by itself, no quotes, to get a list of commands you can use with it.
    Last edited by Zek; 04-27-2007, 11:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Fionnghuala
    replied
    aim [practice gun] at target - this gives you the initial "starting" skill.
    to hunt:
    wield {pistol, rifle, netgun...}
    shoot {frog, hare, bat, Xenomorph, Player name}

The @help basics will point you to the @help combat section

Which gives the following information in part:
    Title: Combat

Important Commands: shoot [target], wield [weapon], open [weapon], close [weapon], load [weapon]

General command for attacking a target using projectile weapons is:

SHOOT
    [TARGET].

Additional commands: Turn [rifle dial] "0-100", put [battery] in [rifle]
    Plastic stupid gun is clearly labled "Practice Gun" which is why it is free.

If you need help then look for people wearing blue badges or a blue bracelet. We are the Alpha Orientation Committee (AOC) - here to help you acclimate.

My nick is Fionn in Lazarus. I'm a member of the AOC.

I stumbled a bit getting my bearings initially, but I would have done that in any MU* - because I don't play a lot of them. Lots of people were willing to help me out. I'm sorry you are having trouble acclimating, but you don't play every board game with the same set of rules.

Playing Monopoly with Scrabble rules would suck.

Leave a comment:

• Tjames
    replied
    Originally posted by jlewis View Post
    Thank you to the older players for their willingness to help out - it is a challenging gameworld to understand.

Other than just exploring, I feel like I'm stuck. I'm not aware that there are any other means for me to develop character skills other than through errands from Dr. Phibes. Unfortunately, the second task I was given is proving very difficult. I have not yet succeeded and I've been unable to heal myself due to lack of credits. I will fail if not for the kindnesses of other players.

So, in effect, it would quickly be game over if I needed to be independent and I wouldn't bother to play again. This is not so good. I wonder if there shouldn't be a beggar's clinic for new characters who cannot pay for treatment.. leave them scarred and messed up for a while until they can afford to pay for decent medical services

This is for myself as well. I hate to be critical. But it seems that the new Skotos Alice client games are primarily for those who play Skotos Alice games.

It seems that only old experienced and "primarily" Skotos CM users know the "secret" commands that are not told in the help files.

The Help files are useless to new users. I had several problems today because I did not know the "secret" {{{ not in the help files }}} commands.

The first dealt with the pod transportation.

__
    The second: My primary character is still struggling with. That is the second missive from Doctor Phibes. My character has to capture a critter and dissect it. Finally got the lesson from the right professor. However, he has to learn a combat skill - a gun.

He arrives to the weapons trainer. He "asks Instructor". All is good. But then the option learn a lesson in weapons. But the instructor gives no lesson just gives my character a "plastic gun". WTF!!??! Ok. I look up "help gun." Ah, the room over has shooting stalls to practice. Great! Character goes to shooting stall.

Push novice target
    Aim target

Now the problem comes in.... "Help gun" says.... Shoot target
    I type: "Shoot target" with plastic gun to get practice.
    I get the command: "you do not have any weapon skills to shoot gun."

WTF???!!!
    I was suppose to ask the instructor for a lesson in that. All he gave me was a stupid plastic gun. WTF am I suppose to do. Go to the wilderness with a plastic stupid gun. Aim it at a critter and say "bang bang?" Typed "Help gun for the twentieth time." Help file is no help. Nothing there. Instructor won't teach anything in combat. Cause I asked him twice already.

But I guess those who worship the Alice client commands and service and know all the secret commands to lazarus [that will not be written into the help files] do know.

Yes, this is a rant. These are simple problems that NON SKOTOS ALICE CLIENT USERS WILL HAVE.

hate to think what would happen if my character had a real problem IG.

Leave a comment:

• Lazarus
    replied
    I haven't had any reports of major bugs with professors/teaching yet. And I know several characters who have increased their mining skills.

Page me (or a guide) next time you are on, and we can straighten it out. It may be something simple, like using the wrong command, or not using the correct education card.

Leave a comment:

• The Crimson Cat
    replied
    cant learn wont learn

so passed all the assignments .... got to the point where i,m just out there supposedly doing whatever i want, usually mining... got me skills up mining card.. but... no matter how many times i get the message ... your brain is due for another lesson ...i cant get one, no no no i cant get none

been to the dr , he says come back when your brain is ready .. offer him my card and still nothing ... been going on for months, what can i do ??

Leave a comment:

• Lazarus
    replied
    I'd also like to thank the older players who have been helping out. I really appreciate it.

And I also realize some things may seem confusing at first. I'd advise new players to read over existing help files (type 'HELP GAME' to see topics) and also use the com channel if they get stuck. You can ask your fellow players for help, from any location in the game, by using com.

You can also feel free to page any guides you see online (currently Morpheus), as well as myself, if you need help. Other options are to leave assists (but it may take up to a day or so to get a response) or the forums right here.

Leave a comment:

• jlewis
    replied
    Slightly improved thoughts...

I just figured out how to get my daily allotment of funds.. by tapping my bracelet.

Leave a comment:

• jlewis
    replied
    Thoughts from a new player

Thank you to the older players for their willingness to help out - it is a challenging gameworld to understand.

Other than just exploring, I feel like I'm stuck. I'm not aware that there are any other means for me to develop character skills other than through errands from Dr. Phibes. Unfortunately, the second task I was given is proving very difficult. I have not yet succeeded and I've been unable to heal myself due to lack of credits. I will fail if not for the kindnesses of other players.

So, in effect, it would quickly be game over if I needed to be independent and I wouldn't bother to play again. This is not so good. I wonder if there shouldn't be a beggar's clinic for new characters who cannot pay for treatment.. leave them scarred and messed up for a while until they can afford to pay for decent medical services

Leave a comment:

Working...
X