Player Concerns (A kinda rant)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Player Concerns (A kinda rant)

I've been noticing this for a while now, but I think it's about time for me to be brutally honest.

Why oh why are there so many people (it seems to be female characters mostly) that decides they want to do that annoying (ooc and icly) baby talk? I remember when one character did it, now EVERYONE is doing. It isn't cute, it isn't funny, it's annoying. I'm not trying to tell people how to rp, but you have to realize that there needs to be -some- originality.

This is a scifi game, but people have been treating it as a glorified chatroom. -Especially- over the com. I turn off my com a -lot- because of well, plain stupidness over the com. Then it goes insane with the OOC. Yes there are connections but when you have a screen or two of OOC over the com, then you -aren't- being considerate of the other players who want to use the com for IC reasons. Every character seems to want to be a hero and there doesn't seem to be that many different characters.

Truth be a told a lot of characters are just, well annoying both ooc and icly because the seem to all be the same.

I play a vp character so I don't want to not play a character because OOCly I find them beyond irritating. If you act a certain way (Like you're a five year old when you're grown born), Manchester WILL think there is something wrong with you and probably try to get you repogrammed some sort of way.

Please please please consider the theme of this game. Please please please remember the setting. Also, PLEASE act how your character will act in a given situation. It's like even the meekest character will totally go out of character and fight the xenomorph.

My main concern is that there isn't much diveristy in Rping. There isn't much diversity in characters. How can we help this? How can we improve the experience here?

I agree with a number of the comments made here. And I don't mean this in a negative way regarding how people choose to play their characters. I'm in no position to tell anyone how they should, or should not, play their characters (with certain exceptions).

But a bit more diversity regarding character types would help the game. And also remember that this is a science fiction game, so everyday concepts may not apply here (so try to not go around talking about things your character wouldn't even know about or modern day objects/info).

As for com... I was aware when it was first created that it could end up being a little bit annoying, due to ooc chatter, but felt it helped the game much more than it hurt it. If you wish to use com for ooc chat, please only use it if it's completely necessary. Ex: com "ooc: I need to go afk because my house just set on fire."

Ooc chat is probably okay if there is hardly anyone on, and you know the other parties don't mind, but please try not to abuse this.

Comment

Eh. The baby talk hasn't bothered me a lot. I just take it as that is the way that the person is talking. I'd just keep it IC, if you don't like it IC say it IC. If you don't care for it, ignore it IC. All up to you, but it does open a new avenue of roleplay even if you don't see it right away.

If Manchester went up to baby-talkerA and told them to stop talking like that or they would be reprogrammed it would cause controversy. Controversy = Good RP.

Comment

Originally posted by Vallon View Post
        Eh. The baby talk hasn't bothered me a lot. I just take it as that is the way that the person is talking. I'd just keep it IC, if you don't like it IC say it IC. If you don't care for it, ignore it IC. All up to you, but it does open a new avenue of roleplay even if you don't see it right away.

If Manchester went up to baby-talkerA and told them to stop talking like that or they would be reprogrammed it would cause controversy. Controversy = Good RP.

Yeah, I'd like to see more IC effects (bad ones as well as the good) from IC actions (or talk).

[Yes, I'm one of the guilty parties who wanted to see Monty up close and personal, but I found an IC way to do it - after talking with the parties involved]
        First Patient of Mendus
        Manchester's 'Accident Prone' Patient

SPCade "And by we I mean Nyx"
        PL: Fionn (Fionnghuala)
        CM: Finella
        ICO: Thera
        LC: Belle Griffin

The Underground Starts Here!

Comment

I swear I'll do something ICly about it! *goes to conduct a plan*
          In the end, when all is said and done, the shadow of the day will embrace the world in grey. The sun will rise again for you someday, but today, let the world stay grey. We're forever marching, forever fighting. For one night, let the world stay grey. I promise one day the sun shall rise again... just for you.

Comment

Bumping this....
            I never complained about it before but...
            I don't see how systematically -not- playing a high-tech-hatched enhanced human being, with superior brain functions, helps the game at all.

I'm looking forward to having -a lot- of good rp experiences here. Still...

The hatchery keeping on letting out defectives should be an alarming situation ic as it is. But remember, we set the example as players. Since this is a fairly small group of players.
            Plus.. deficiencies in speech really doesn't add to the theme, unless the goal was to make everyone feel like they're in High School or Kindergarten or being inside Mendus. Think there was a reason why they only grow adults ic...

Anyway,...
            My two cents.
            Wolf...

Comment

Originally posted by Carhan View Post
              Bumping this....
              I never complained about it before but...
              I don't see how systematically -not- playing a high-tech-hatched enhanced human being, with superior brain functions, helps the game at all.

I'm looking forward to having -a lot- of good rp experiences here. Still...

The hatchery keeping on letting out defectives should be an alarming situation ic as it is. But remember, we set the example as players. Since this is a fairly small group of players.
              Plus.. deficiencies in speech really doesn't add to the theme, unless the goal was to make everyone feel like they're in High School or Kindergarten or being inside Mendus. Think there was a reason why they only grow adults ic...

Anyway,...
              My two cents.
              Personally I gotta second this. Zek does talk kinda...questionable at times, but I try to keep it to a minimum. And he's got this whole thing about being unique that fuels most of his speech pattern and all that.

Comment

While I think about it,
                If ya don't know how to have your char suddenly speak somewhat normally,
                I'm sure the docs ic can take care of that for you.

That'd be great.
                Wolf...

Comment

Thank you for this post (or for the bump since I missed it the first time).

What is WITH the baby talk trend? Back when I first started the game, the colony was the hostile environment where everyone was constantly at each other's throats. They were aggressive to ensure their own survival. Alpha was a tough knock place to be.

Now, I'm not directing this at one person in particular, but it IS a phenomenon that seems to have spread. The colony has a lot of interesting plots going on, and a horrendously corrupt government, and the main topics of drama stem from the latest suicide attempt or retirement to one's room because one's Significant Other looked at them funny, or giggles and games and parties. I understand the need to relax a bit, but there needs to be a happy medium.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but I wonder sometimes at people's offense at being called defective when they're moaning and crying over com about boyfriends and girlfriends like over-hyped teenagers when there's a homicidal monster on the loose. In the very least, Nora thinks we should be locking people up ICly for their own safety, because they all seem perilously delicate and less able to survive in such a harsh atmosphere.

I'd like to see a morph from people gathering to play spin the bottle and chat about who's snogging whom (which there IS a place for -in moderation-), and more getting together to decide how to handle the latest threat.

Now, I'm not saying that everyone always needs to be hard-nosed, crap-talking, and aggressive. But we DO all need to be adults. The way I see Metas are like .. brand new computers. Hyper-intelligent, hyper-strong, extremely effective super-humans that are chocked full of information, but little to no practical experience. I have never gotten the impression that we are supposed to be immature, or under-developed in any way. Or that if someone wakes like that, that they're not supposed to be treated as abnormal.

The sci-fi theme isn't about teenagers in space, unless you're watching Starship Troopers ... and I think seeing that would even have had Robert Heinlein rolling over in his grave.

Comment

Well said.

Comment

While I agree thats alot of interesting plots sometimes people just get really annoyed when the only thing that happens is people arms getting ripped off...over...and...over and over. So its fun to have a little party or class to go to sometimes. Cause having your arms or legs gnawed off repeated or just shooting whatever the big bad monset of the week is gets tiring and it makes sense for Chars to wanna focus on something other then stuff like that. If you want to have a gaint colony talk about the latest threat instead a party then...host it? Thats really all it takes. People would probably come if they knew about it. They hosted one for the bugs, I believe if I remember right. And while metas do grow as a adults it never says what it tells us or what we hatch knowing. It just says we know basic information. People could take that so many ways. From just how to walk and talk to knowing about the brain system. And while I do agree its best if not everyone talks like a little child I do think sometimes people just wanna talk different or might believe that there char, while mature in body, not having to put to use any of its information that is apprently stored in its brain, does not know how to react to every situation in a mature manner. Or maybe the players just don't know the big words. I know personally grammer, and spelling have never been a strong suit of mine. But what I think is that if theres something you don't like then change it ic...confront them on there speech or try and teach em to speak better. Host your own meetings and get charters or something....<.<

Comment

No one can say that I haven't.

Though the last time I tried to step into a situation and have a nice talk about it, (even advising everyone to NOT shoot, and start gnawing arms off), people tried to shoot Nora and gnaw her arms off.

And yes, it IS fine if people wanna play those sort of characters. But keeping in theme, we shouldn't be coddling them and treating them as norm.

Nor is this about grammar, or word size. I don't get on people for spelling, capitalization, or word-usage. Everyone knows I'm the typo-queen. It's about general game attitude, and theme-set.

I just wanna see the game slide back into theme.

Comment

On Baby talk: We are an isolated village therefore idioms specific to the place will develope (Woof ya, Nifties, Prolly, etc) so I really don't see any problem with that overall, yes, I will admit some people seem to take the "unable to pronouce things properly" to the extreme, I take a deep breath and hold it in those cases... I chalk some of that IC-ly to the technicians in charge of uploaded knowledge to individual brains, some of the tchs have a odd sense of humor. *eyeshift* Which also goes along with various informational bits in terms of what one knows IC-ly as well (various animals, plants, scolarly things, althought Culturally specific items (names of presidents, individual singers or bands) are not allowed - one might know about theories of gravitation but not know what fruit pie is. Developement of our own idioms and speech patterns is normal for a civilization and for an isolated group, and I don't see any problem with people experimenting with various modes of speech.

The Hatchery Defective situation: I have complained about IC-ly numerous times, to the point of asking/suggesting there be something added to the background page, or the character creation page about people not being allowed to hatch severely defective (physical or mental) individuals. Unfortunately I can't go around and kill PCs who display such things due to the rules... although options along that line have been discussed IC-ly among a few. Short of simply taking the real defectives out into the green and leaving them for the hopfrogs, if your character feels someone is defective enough to warrant intervention, we should be making more use of Mendus. If Defective = Mendus trip, maybe people will quickly decide that maybe playing the severe defectives is a bad idea.

Social issues/emotional maturity: this is one of the areas that I have been struggling with as a player how to express certain ideas.... On the one hand - Metas are in terms of real age from hatching, less than 4 years old. At this age, children are still learning social skills especially ability to empathize with others, impulse control, emotional outburst control. While we make *look* like adults in all aspects, social skills can't be learned in a vacuum. We have a large number of pre-kindergarten children in an environment devoid of teachers. While we have a few role models, generally speaking, most of the natural born tend to distance themselves from metas, not to mention that we have few Natural born that spend a large amount of time in the colony. Alpha in some respects is like _Lord of the Flies_ in that we have no "adults" to control our behavior. In that respect, I feel that some of the "childish behavior" displayed is something that *would* happen in this type of environment, no matter how hi-tech everything else is.

On the other hand the players are older teens and adults, and should not act childish for no apparent reason.

Plots:

There is information out there, if players are willing to do a bit of digging. Keep in mind that there is an underlying *conspiracy/secrets* theme going on, so it may take time for a new Character to develop the connections with people to learn these tidbits of information. I also ask the older players to be a little more forthcoming with information that might help new charactrers learn what threads are out there.

Also I would like to suggest to people, if there is a specific type of plot you would like to see played out large scale in LP, please bring it to a staffers attention. *NOTE* we have had many *physical agreession* kill or be killed, hunt down the animal or person in question plots... not all players enjoy these. Long term sub plots that slowly reveal information that might come in handy to know some time in the future is always fun to explore.

Romance plots: while there are those who might enjoy the dealings of the ups and downs of romantic interests, not everyone find them exciting, desirable and something to be part of. Please respect your fellow players, and if you find a large percentage of peopleIC-ly complaining about your crying over a lost love over com, then please restrict you comments to the local room you are in and not broadcast them to *everyone* over the com system. We have multiple ways to contact people - everyone has In Game email access, and a large portion of the characters have personal videophones.

Character to Character reactions: if your character behaves in a way that another character has cause to feel is distrustful, odd, or some other variety of strange that they decide that they would be better off limiting the amount of interaction or information they share with your character. This happens in Real life, and will happen ICly too.
                          First Patient of Mendus
                          Manchester's 'Accident Prone' Patient

SPCade "And by we I mean Nyx"
                          PL: Fionn (Fionnghuala)
                          CM: Finella
                          ICO: Thera
                          LC: Belle Griffin

The Underground Starts Here!

Comment

Originally posted by Fionnghuala View Post
                            On Baby talk: We are an isolated village therefore idioms specific to the place will develope (Woof ya, Nifties, Prolly, etc) so I really don't see any problem with that overall, yes, I will admit some people seem to take the "unable to pronouce things properly" to the extreme, I take a deep breath and hold it in those cases... I chalk some of that IC-ly to the technicians in charge of uploaded knowledge to individual brains, some of the tchs have a odd sense of humor. *eyeshift* Which also goes along with various informational bits in terms of what one knows IC-ly as well (various animals, plants, scolarly things, althought Culturally specific items (names of presidents, individual singers or bands) are not allowed - one might know about theories of gravitation but not know what fruit pie is. Developement of our own idioms and speech patterns is normal for a civilization and for an isolated group, and I don't see any problem with people experimenting with various modes of speech.

The Hatchery Defective situation: I have complained about IC-ly numerous times, to the point of asking/suggesting there be something added to the background page, or the character creation page about people not being allowed to hatch severely defective (physical or mental) individuals. Unfortunately I can't go around and kill PCs who display such things due to the rules... although options along that line have been discussed IC-ly among a few. Short of simply taking the real defectives out into the green and leaving them for the hopfrogs, if your character feels someone is defective enough to warrant intervention, we should be making more use of Mendus. If Defective = Mendus trip, maybe people will quickly decide that maybe playing the severe defectives is a bad idea.

Social issues/emotional maturity: this is one of the areas that I have been struggling with as a player how to express certain ideas.... On the one hand - Metas are in terms of real age from hatching, less than 4 years old. At this age, children are still learning social skills especially ability to empathize with others, impulse control, emotional outburst control. While we make *look* like adults in all aspects, social skills can't be learned in a vacuum. We have a large number of pre-kindergarten children in an environment devoid of teachers. While we have a few role models, generally speaking, most of the natural born tend to distance themselves from metas, not to mention that we have few Natural born that spend a large amount of time in the colony. Alpha in some respects is like _Lord of the Flies_ in that we have no "adults" to control our behavior. In that respect, I feel that some of the "childish behavior" displayed is something that *would* happen in this type of environment, no matter how hi-tech everything else is.

On the other hand the players are older teens and adults, and should not act childish for no apparent reason.

Plots:

There is information out there, if players are willing to do a bit of digging. Keep in mind that there is an underlying *conspiracy/secrets* theme going on, so it may take time for a new Character to develop the connections with people to learn these tidbits of information. I also ask the older players to be a little more forthcoming with information that might help new charactrers learn what threads are out there.

Also I would like to suggest to people, if there is a specific type of plot you would like to see played out large scale in LP, please bring it to a staffers attention. *NOTE* we have had many *physical agreession* kill or be killed, hunt down the animal or person in question plots... not all players enjoy these. Long term sub plots that slowly reveal information that might come in handy to know some time in the future is always fun to explore.

Romance plots: while there are those who might enjoy the dealings of the ups and downs of romantic interests, not everyone find them exciting, desirable and something to be part of. Please respect your fellow players, and if you find a large percentage of peopleIC-ly complaining about your crying over a lost love over com, then please restrict you comments to the local room you are in and not broadcast them to *everyone* over the com system. We have multiple ways to contact people - everyone has In Game email access, and a large portion of the characters have personal videophones.

Character to Character reactions: if your character behaves in a way that another character has cause to feel is distrustful, odd, or some other variety of strange that they decide that they would be better off limiting the amount of interaction or information they share with your character. This happens in Real life, and will happen ICly too.

I really agree with all of that. Nicely put

Comment

OOCly I once made the comment about the player base here. We have fighties and bouncies.

Fighties can encompass a wide range of emotions, but in the end their actions are entirely geared to be violent.

For example, "Woe is me....I will shoot the first happy person"

Or

"I'm angry....pissed off and I'm going to shoot someone....alot"

Bouncies are sort of the opposite range. They are generally happy or go-lucky or as it pertains to this conversation, childish in nature.

Now, in general, there is no problem with either characteristic, but its my sincere belief that RP should show a range. Ozz can be bouncy when he's eating a snake sandwich. He can be a fightie when he's remembering some horrible past.

I'm not perfect, but all the people who responded on this list...are rather well-rounded RPers...at least in my experience. I'm more concerned about future players and new players. We need to do more to really help develop the range, depth and capability of RP amongst just some but all of us...as a community. It will go along way to making it better for everyone.

I'm not sure if anyone remembers, but a long time ago. Skotos would hold some seminar type things in the Grand Theater. Maybe our story people could help us foster something like this one weekend night? Do some RP and see how we can help grow together?

Yeah....a bit cheesy....but its just a thought.
                              -Head of Houseold/Valet to Lord Vestio
                              -Courtier of Her Majesty's Royal Court

Comment

Working...
                              X