Announcement

Collapse

Skotos Forums Closing: September 30

The Skotos Forums are officially closing on September 30, 2020. They will go read-only on that date, and will be removed entirely sometime afterward.

We encourage the games that spun off of Skotos to create new discussion mediums of their own, and some have already done so. But the centralized discussions for Skotos will soon be a thing of the past (just as the centralized Skotos site is).

We've also posted a goodbye message to the community on our main page, which you can find here:
http://www.skotos.net/goodbye.php
See more
See less

Idling in Public

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idling in Public

Hey Everyone,

Thought I'd discuss an issue I've seen springing up lately. We'd like for you, if you have to idle for a lengthy period of time (over a half an hour), to do so in your apartment.

If you idle your character in public spaces you are consenting to game play in which you aren't actually there to consent to. If your character is idle in a room with active game play, you are essentially part of that scene without a handler. This could be problematic say your character was a witness to a crime but you weren't actually there.

I know it's easy for us to look at the who and see you are idle and just assume your character doesn't consent, but we all know what assuming does

If your character is idle in public space I will be returning them back to your apartment! Do me a favor and do that yourself before the idling so I don't have to waste precious staffing time on doing that!

Happy gaming everyone!

PS - If you are idling somewhere that may be for the time being replacing your apartment I'll be making exceptions...IE - camping, hiding out somewhere... etc.
    Storyguide Sarafina

Um, sometimes we dfon't have a choice of where we idle, such as if we get a phone call, or visitors suddenly drop by the house... or get sucked into web surfing because nothing is going on.... *eyeshift*

Sometimes I *nap* in a public area to be there when stuff happens so I can logg it, even if I can't be there in person. I do, however, try to pick an out of the way area to be idle if I find I am going to need to be away for more than a few minutes.

Heck it is kind of fun to be *asleep* in the lobby and have people basically ignore your presence, until you suddenly *wake up* to say something <grins wickedly>

I do try yo pick up my stuff (i.e. pets on follow) if I am going to be detained in case I get disconnected, but some times... you never know.
    First Patient of Mendus
    Manchester's 'Accident Prone' Patient

SPCade "And by we I mean Nyx"
    PL: Fionn (Fionnghuala)
    CM: Finella
    ICO: Thera
    LC: Belle Griffin

The Underground Starts Here!

Comment

Originally posted by Fionnghuala View Post
      Um, sometimes we dfon't have a choice of where we idle, such as if we get a phone call, or visitors suddenly drop by the house... or get sucked into web surfing because nothing is going on....
      This is when I will be sending you back to your apartment. My request was merely if you -know- you are going to idle to do so in a non public space.

Originally posted by Fionnghuala View Post
      Sometimes I *nap* in a public area to be there when stuff happens so I can logg it, even if I can't be there in person.
      Again, this is consenting to role play when you are not physically present to consent to it. Also, this could potentially lead to some cross over issues that I really would not like to deal with. For instance, if you are idle in a scene and we are supposed to assume you are sleeping, then anything we say or do you didn't actually observe or hear if you were sleeping. But then, because you logged it, Fionn comments on interaction and or dialog in that particular scene there becomes a disconnect between my RP because of what I assumed about you because you were idle and what you assumed about the scene in which you weren't physically present.

If you're idle in a public space I'm sending you back to your apartment. With exception to low traffic areas (unless it suddenly becomes high traffic) and other characters apartments (if you idle in someone else's apartment that would be considered low traffic -- unless a party was happening etc.)
      Storyguide Sarafina

Comment

Given the recent attacks on idlers int e Lobby, I'm bumping this back to the top.
        First Patient of Mendus

Comment

What attacks on the idle ones? I don't normally idle, but I'd like to know what's goin on...

What are YOU lookin' at?!?!

Comment

Look Here: Re: MILES

While Vallon and Monique were AFK a new player/character shot them for no reason.

Another reason why, if you find you are going to be AFK for an extended time, you should probably go to your apartment or some other less traveled space.
            First Patient of Mendus

Comment

Pfft. Looks like we need a new rule. No tots get guns for 45 days until they learn weapon etiquette. Either that, or make it so that the guns can't shoot in colony proper- just at the range, I guess if it uses real shots...

Comment

I'd like to point out if there is a rule restricting new players/chars from getting a gun, then when they go to the green, they are dogmeat. And making guns unfirable in Alpha proper, well the, what happens when slitherflies suddenly attack again? Or another army of some mutated creature? What then? Actually, should make it more like can't buy a gun for a week. And as for getting rid of the gun mission from Phibes' missions, one question, how will -anyone- learn to use a gun then? And by anyone, I mean new characters.

My two-piece
                To war! For milk and cookies!

Comment

Making rules won't help at all. It'll just limit RP for when people who CAN roleplay properly decide that they'd like to engage in some gun fighting that has a purpose and such and blah.

The only thing that would probably help would be to make some code that would keep people from being able to shoot people who've been idle for more than ten minutes. That solves the whole idle issue. And, stop idling in public! That's where the problem comes from

But, seriously. Making more rules that limits new players from jumping right into RP isn't a very good idea.
                  In the end, when all is said and done, the shadow of the day will embrace the world in grey. The sun will rise again for you someday, but today, let the world stay grey. We're forever marching, forever fighting. For one night, let the world stay grey. I promise one day the sun shall rise again... just for you.

Comment

Fine, how about make it so that permission is needed to take a pot shot at someone- like how it is before we allow everything to happen (ie: you need Med-Tech Monique's permission to shoot her).

Problem with having us not idle is that we're all so used to doing it, it's almost become second nature for us... Especially when RL decides to bite us and we don't get a chance to get our characters back to their apartments (especially if your in the lower level of the caves) I'm sure the staffers can come up with a solution... after they fix the mining/fishing bug. That's just annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by Sephraem View Post
                      Fine, how about make it so that permission is needed to take a pot shot at someone- like how it is before we allow everything to happen (ie: you need Med-Tech Monique's permission to shoot her).

Then we get into mondo coding issues which could make weapons unusable anywhere in game. I think the only way to deal with it is mainly the OOC route, i.e. the event never happened IC-ly, and the person involved gets a personal visit from the staffer gods, and/or banned from the game. Given the number of characters there are (active and non-active) the problem cases are actually a small percentage of players, and generally don't stick around long once they get identified to the regular player base as a person to ignore/shun/refuse to acknowledge effects from them. As I said in another thread, the ones that feel the need to do random violence generally don't have that much of an imagination. While I would just *love* to give problem character a reason to learn what real fear and terror is by taking my time to show them what a real b**ch can do, I don't think the lesson would sink in properly, as they would basically ignore anything I did to them. Unfortunate because it would be real fun to see just how depraved I could get, but the ones that would appreciate it, generally aren't the ones that I want to take out vengance on.

>:->

*sigh* we need a good devil smilie.
                      First Patient of Mendus

Comment

If you are idle in public game space you are half at fault for someone randomly shooting you. I would never consider it good role play to shoot an idle person, but if you are idle in public, as I explained before, you are consenting to role play by just being there.

Don't idle in public. If something happens suddenly in real life, click the little x at the top of your screen. Its really that simple.
                        Storyguide Sarafina

Comment

I agree with Sarafina. Just exit out of it if RL comes into place. I was gonna say that...
                          In the end, when all is said and done, the shadow of the day will embrace the world in grey. The sun will rise again for you someday, but today, let the world stay grey. We're forever marching, forever fighting. For one night, let the world stay grey. I promise one day the sun shall rise again... just for you.

Comment

Working...
                          X

Debug Information