Announcement

Collapse
1 of 5 < >

Forums Reversion

The cloud server that hosts the main Skotos web site and the forums experienced a hardware failure on Saturday morning that unfortunately led to severe database corruption. Several attempts to restore it failed.

This led us to our backups, but the timing was a bit unfortunate. Since the failure occurred on a weekend morning, we didn't see it until after a new backup occurred, which contained the corrupted data, and which removed our previous daily backup. This forced us to our weekly backup, which was unfortunately at the end of its time: six days old.

So, the forums are back, but we had a six-day reversion.

This should not have affects on the rest of the site, since the majority of our data is saved in our main-user-database or our games, all on remote machines.
2 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

The cloud server that hosts the main Skotos web site and the forums experienced a hardware failure on Saturday morning that unfortunately led to severe database corruption. Several attempts to restore it failed.

This led us to our backups, but the timing was a bit unfortunate. Since the failure occurred on a weekend morning, we didn't see it until after a new backup occurred, which contained the corrupted data, and which removed our previous daily backup. This forced us to our weekly backup, which was unfortunately at the end of its time: six days old.

This should not have affects on the rest of the site, since the majority of our data is saved in our main-user-database or our games, all on remote machines.
3 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

4 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

5 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

See more
See less

What is good role playing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TroubuleD View Post
    Anywho, come on guys, this is 'posed to be fun, BE FUN.
    I don't disagree with this, but I think we've lost sight of what fun is. I completely understand that catty behavior and gossip may be fun for you. Totally do it! That's great. But, my experience with the last six months or more of this game is the behavior being the -only- behavior I've come across. It's on com, it's in every room, there are unrealistic reactions when someone comments on it.

We also sort of have a pack mentality and I've felt very put off as a player and a character in this game. If my character disagrees with the childish behavior, she in turn is treated as if she's the one with the problem.

It's absolutely frustrating and not fun. We aren't playing this game solely for ourselves and sometimes we need to give a little to get a little. We need to create stories -- and I think for the most part a lot of us don't want gossip, catty stories.

There have been numerous times where I've tried to talk about past things, especially the Greenskins which people don't know a lot about it and I was ignored and or had a ridiculous reactions like someone crawling under a couch (how?) and growling.

How do I go forward with my character and how do we go forward as a community if we are all disregarding what we are actually doing and how it's actually affecting the story of the game?

Comment

How do I as an average character punish this. Do I write down every instance (which is utterly excessive nearly every time I log on which ends up causing me to sign off because it's annoying) in order to report it? What happens? They get put in a jail cell and continue to argue on com? They pay fines and continue to argue on com?

Of course not, writing down everytime it happens would just be crazy.

But...

It's still simple. Involve Law enforcement write Carhan or Meyar or whoever you need to. Get a new law made regarding com conversation where as if it is used to excess in ways it isn't meant to be used that the person can and -will- be arrested and placed in a cell with the com dampeners on until such a time that the offender agrees to no longer abuse the com. And if they do it again? Put them back in. That'll eventually break them (or they'll just be in a cell where they can't bug you anyway.). Now this could lead to the problem of the offender in the cell not getting treated fairly on an ooc level, but luckily for them they don't have to get caught if they try not too (which low and behold only creates more RP). And lets say you all think sticking someone in a cell is to harsh? I just came up with an even better idea simply sitting here. Go to whatever Admin you need to go to and come up with a very simple program. (and I think this idea is actually a good one) Cut any offenders off. I'm not sure how much coding it would take by staff but wouldn't it be neat if one day RandomGuyWhoAbusesTheCom woke up and realized he couldn't use his credits or bracelet anymore? Or that he was being refused service in the stores? I bet that would change his tune in a hurry. Furthermore on top of that if you -didn't- want to code anything? A lot of the coolest things in the game are still controlled by actual players. Veronica, Syren, Fionn, Monique these are all characters that provide services to the rest of the populace. Even if they banded together and simply didn't serve annoying folks they'd be able to cut how often it happens.

Start taking names, make a list of people who abuse com, or run around shooting people, or are just crude and rude. Post it on the announcements as a list of people that are reccomended to not be associated with.

-tons- of ways to fix it. I'd come up with some more for ya but turns out I play one of those com annoying hooligans

The short and simple fact is that IC issues should be fixed IC and not OOC. Because that is the -worse- thing for RP in a game, dragging things OOC and to the forums and to staff.

Comment

Originally posted by Vallon View Post
        A lot of the coolest things in the game are still controlled by actual players. Veronica, Syren, Fionn, Monique these are all characters that provide services to the rest of the populace. Even if they banded together and simply didn't serve annoying folks they'd be able to cut how often it happens.

Start taking names, make a list of people who abuse com, or run around shooting people, or are just crude and rude. Post it on the announcements as a list of people that are reccomended to not be associated with.
        This is a very good idea and one of the reasons I brought this to the forums. What can we do? How can we fix this? So very good idea, thank you.

Originally posted by Vallon View Post
        The short and simple fact is that IC issues should be fixed IC and not OOC. Because that is the -worse- thing for RP in a game, dragging things OOC and to the forums and to staff.
        I'm not saying this shouldn't be fixed IC, but my impression of this game is that 1) We have a lot inexperienced role players (which is great!) 2) A lot of people are frustrated and are feeling stressed oocly about this.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to discuss things oocly. It's not harmful. And if you've seen the way at least I've reacted and I do notice Veronica reacting in game even though we're having this conversation is completely IC and not ooc at all. We've both been thinking about things in this post and seeing how we can ICly address the concerns.

This forum is specifically for these things. And I definitely think we can regroup as a community of players and say "This is how I feel about the state of the game,what do you think and if we think these things how can we icly address them" Which you've started helping doing.

Comment

Let me just put my oar in here...

Yes, these sort of things should be sorted IC. The problem? Either no-one is hardly around to sort them with and the behaviour is by now, too widespread to be dealt with alone. I brought my grievances to the forum to tell those players who behave such that it is annoying people and ruining the game.

Besides... Riva has tried to sort things before and either been completely ignored or at the worst, shot. The simple fact is you can't sort this IC without a lot of hassle and stress OOCly. In order for IC characters to change, you have to want to change them OOC.

New players are joining the game and quickly get the impression that this is a game to do what you want. So there isn't enough people around to start the main plot, so what? We're building the foundation of the game here, as I said before. We muck it up, it'll take a lot to get it right again.

So yes, ordinarily, it should be sorted IC. The reason I brought it OOC? The stress in game isn't what I need right now and it's become impossible to sort it IC... I mean, yes, Vallon may fight and rant on Com... but he does it in a systematic way, you accept, hey, it's who he is, put up with him. As for the others that do so, their character contradicts themselves on a daily basis. It's not violence because it's who they are, it's violence for the sake of violence.

Gotta love Hunter Man

Striding along the path, rifle in my hand. My senses spreading, across this vast land. The beast inside, coming alive. Looking around, watching everything thrive. I know I can't come, to any harm. There's no need, for any alarm. I'm Hunter Man, wild and free. There's no-one else... quite like me!

The power of One means nothing, if there are not many to appreciate it.

Comment

I'm usually not the type to engage in these sorts of discussions personal reasons, but everyone has brought a good point in response to Syren's original post. I admit that I haven't thoroughly read everyone's responses, but I can't exactly bring a good point to the table because of it generally just being the way I am.

... In fact, I won't really say much on it. Everyone's got a super great point and I agree with most of the things being mentioned up to this point in the discussion. I just hope that we'll be able to see more of these suggested plots that I know the staff have being dying to drag out to the playerbase and that the RP problems can be resolved to an extent as to where we get to wittness the sub-plots.
            In the end, when all is said and done, the shadow of the day will embrace the world in grey. The sun will rise again for you someday, but today, let the world stay grey. We're forever marching, forever fighting. For one night, let the world stay grey. I promise one day the sun shall rise again... just for you.

Comment

Riva has tried to sort things before and either been completely ignored or at the worst, shot
              Then the ones doing the shooting need to be arrested and reprogrammed. For those who don't know who to write OOC-ly in Game on this, you shoudl be able to find out real easy who works for the Ministry of Security. Lieutenant Meyar, Toria, Cheamari, Zek and Bex (and anyone I may have accidently left off, Sorry...).

Blue, yes the game is supposed to be fun, but there are some things that have happened in game from other Players that I found to be the exact opposite of fun. Not fun for me means - I go find somewhere else to have fun, depriving the better players of any information I may be able to supply in regards to history or personalities. If I come here and get stressed out, that is not a "good thing." Every community has a standard, including fun ones, you agree to some of them when you agree to the Terms of Service, then there are the ones which have developed among the community through interaction. When I played face-to-face pen and paper games, if someone was disruptive of play, they were NOT invited back to play again. I do not see whay I should give Internet players more leeway in this, and allow them to keep coming back to play with me.

Vallon, shunning people is a great thing, and something I have more or less been doing - there are several charactres I do not interact with because they are disruptive/not conducive to the game setting.Unfortunately, as Maintenace, there really isn't a way for me to deny service directly, since stuff in people's apartments don't really break. I think the blocking commerce bracelet idea has merit, but don't know how much coding it will take to do that, and it may end up at the bottom of the priority pile of stuff to do. Perhaps the black list idea can be utilized to say that those on the list cannot participate in contests, or be hired for IC jobs (AOC, Maintenance, Botany, Zoo, MoS) or will have their pay from those jobs withheld as long as they remain on the list - and then we also have to have a way for people to petition to have their name removed from the list (i.e. X number of days without an incident - but player must log in and play for the day to count otherwise they just stay logged off until they get cleared).

Right now my vote is toss them in the jail with the com dampers on, with no phone, and no computer. Is it boring for them? Heck yeah. Prison is not supposed to be a fun place. Mendus is not a fun place. I want to see that interrogation chair get more use. Either the person learns to be a better citizen, or they stop playing. Either of those works for me. In real life, if you are a drunk driver and get caught too often you get your driver's lic. suspended, get caught driving with a suspension, you go to jail.
              First Patient of Mendus
              Manchester's 'Accident Prone' Patient

SPCade "And by we I mean Nyx"
              PL: Fionn (Fionnghuala)
              CM: Finella
              ICO: Thera
              LC: Belle Griffin

The Underground Starts Here!

Comment

Good roleplaying is a warm gun.

Comment

I have been reminded that the MoS already have the powers to arrest people for "Disturbing the Peace" should things get out of hand over the com system. This includes arrest. If I recall, additional times also include fines, and may also include reprogramming and for those who still refuse to learn, time in Mendus.

If MoS personnel are not awake at the time of the infraction, please document the conversation briefly (One or two small sections that describe the bulk of the issue) time and date.
                  First Patient of Mendus

Comment

newbie perspective

I consider myself to be a new player although I have tried the game before (a little over a year ago and didn't last long due to distractions unrelated to the game). This time around I wanted to dive in with a fresh perspective and really get into the character I was playing the environment I was playing in.

To get a bit off topic, I love the concept of the game. The story is intriguing and when I first started with this character, I had a million ideas running through my head about what I could do and what stories I could accomplish. I was excited to play and see where my character could take me.

I started off meeting a couple of very helpful people who showed me around and answered my questions. I won't say everyone else, but most everyone I met afterward I felt I was bothering with my RP attempts. I understand my character was a bit weird and some reactions were completely justified, such as Veronica being unhappy about being examined. Yet she still left the door open for RP by explaining why that made her unhappy.

At other times (and I really don't want to make anyone feel bad; just want to explain why this can be off-putting for new people), my character was ridiculed and ganged up on. At one point it was even dragged over to com despite the fact that my character and the characters he was having the discussion with were in the same room. I didn't even know it was an argument until things like "He is a defect" and "He will be shot within a week" were being said Again, I can understand if my IG actions warranted this kind of reaction but I honestly and sincerely don't believe that they did.

So in regard to this whole thing called roleplay, I found it hard to get into as it seemed my presence was a bother. Maybe it was just me, and I kind of hope it was and hope other newbies feel more welcome. But as far as my experience goes, it was disappointing. My suggestion? Everyone, new and old, have stories to tell. If you want your story to be heard, be willing to listen in return. No one should be made to feel like their story is stupid or less important than yours.

Comment

Apologies

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                      the characters he was having the discussion with were in the same room. I didn't even know it was an argument until things like "He is a defect" and "He will be shot within a week" were being said Again, I can understand if my IG actions warranted this kind of reaction but I honestly and sincerely don't believe that they did.
                      *waves* Hi!... I can understand why as a new player you may not understand why you got the reaction you did... And I am truely sorry and apologize that I made you feel that way (Yes, I am Fionn's aka Nell's handler). You may not believe this, but there *is* an IC reason for Nell to react that way - and as I don't want you to think I was picking on you specifically I will tell you why...

Fionn is responsible for the upkeep and proper running of the Hatchery that you came out of. Your, character's reactions were a bit... unusual compared to how most new hatchlings react. There was information given to you, both on the console in the Hatchery, and by other players the day before (including by my character telling you that you were a meta). By ignoring that information, you were seen as having a mental defect in your short term memory. The hatchery is not supposed to hatch defects, Metas are screened before hatching to weed out the ones with physical and genetic defects. By insisting that you were not a meta/ not hatched after you were told a second time today, that is a pretty serious defect from where Fionn stands. Defective. And people have been shot by other characters (not Fionn) for behaving in a manner that the IC community would consider off and defective.
                      Fionn was and is, considering sending IG email to the Doctors to have you given a full physical and mental evaluation. I did not take you aside for an OOC conversation because I thougt it could be dealt with in an IC manner, as you were asking questions, rather than being violent (and we have had those too).

I'm sorry you found the comments offensive, but there were meant in an IC manner and not by the player. I will make certain that Fionn avoids your character from this point forward.
                      First Patient of Mendus

Comment

Ok,.....

So in regard to this whole thing called roleplay, I found it hard to get into as it seemed my presence was a bother. Maybe it was just me, and I kind of hope it was and hope other newbies feel more welcome. But as far as my experience goes, it was disappointing. My suggestion? Everyone, new and old, have stories to tell. If you want your story to be heard, be willing to listen in return. No one should be made to feel like their story is stupid or less important than yours.[/QUOTE]

okies, if Blue upset you by the whole hissing thing, lemme explain. She is -very- protective over what she considers 'hers', to newbies, or oldies. By you 'protecting' Damala, she considered that you were overstepping your boundaries and guiding yourself into her territory. I apologize if I contributed to this disappointment of yours, for usually I forget who is new and who is not,and I just play how I'd usually play Blue.
                        Madalina Blue and Saruno

Comment

Originally posted by Fionnghuala View Post
                          *waves* Hi!...
                          Hi there!

Originally posted by Fionnghuala View Post
                          By insisting that you were not a meta/ not hatched after you were told a second time today, that is a pretty serious defect from where Fionn stands.
                          I am pretty sure you have me confused with someone else. Will discuss further via PM.

As for IC actions being IC, I know that and I don't hold anything personal against anyone The title of this thread is "What is good roleplaying?" and that is the discussion I hope to contribute to.

What is good roleplay?
                          A. Our ability to act realistically, or
                          B. Our ability to act cooperatively, or
                          C. Both

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                            I started off meeting a couple of very helpful people who showed me around and answered my questions. I won't say everyone else, but most everyone I met afterward I felt I was bothering with my RP attempts.
                            I agree with this sentiment completely. My first few days were very fun and the people were very helpful. Then a few days later there was a complete turnaround in most of these people.

I've completely stopped any interaction with most characters and to a large degree stopped actually RPing because it did seem like a bother to other people. It seems like you can't RP -anything- different. That's where the elitist attitude comes in, in my perspective. I've had the experience of people who aren't even RPing with my character directly making ridiculous statements and accusations and seemingly trying to tell me how he should act and how I should RP him without understanding his reasons, mindset, feelings, or even being in the same room as him.

It does bother me that I have to blatantly ignore 90% of the population because certain people are more concerned with character assassination with absolutely no rhyme or reason other than to advancing their own characters, but that's precisely the kind of drama I don't need/want in a game. For me the repetitive entering of 'fish' or 'shoot 1st hare' is more entertaining than interacting with the majority of the community, with the exception of maybe five people.

I think this quote sums it up pretty well;
                            So in regard to this whole thing called roleplay, I found it hard to get into as it seemed my presence was a bother. Maybe it was just me, and I kind of hope it was and hope other newbies feel more welcome. But as far as my experience goes, it was disappointing.
                            So it wasn't just you, Evan. Unfortunately I think if you don't fit perfectly into the clique, the game isn't a newbie friendly experience.

Comment

Hello!

I was under the impression that this thread was about putting forward constructive ideas to help others know about the setting that is the Lazarus Project and staying within the theme. And I can already see people working ic toward achieving this, since this thread started. I would like to encourage everyone who has put some effort forward for this, thank you!
                              I'm a tiny bit worried that this is turning slightly off topic and also a little bit toward finger pointing. And to drag IC things over the ooc forums. (I am sure that with a little more investigation, Fionn's point would have been understood icly, and it's unfortunate that she feels like she has to explain herself here) This thread started out very good with good helpful suggestions to promote good role-play. So this is a pre-emptive post before things turn ugly. Thankfully, they aren't yet.
                              Obviously, since there is a bit of a complaint about role-playing, it must mean that not everyone's levels of role-playing are equal. That means that you might encounter people who aren't playing in a way that you will want them to. I think it's fair to ask everyone to be understanding, not just to the older players, but the new players as well.
                              Also, keep in mind that this is a very serious game and if you are experimenting with a new character, expect some time to get adjusted to the background. People might react a certain way that is personal to them, especially with older players. Expect some history to be attached to their reactions (the good or bad ones).
                              Living in Alpha is very complex, as you probably already have discovered. There is also the fact that if you are new, you will have to learn to work your way to make friends, just like everyone else had to. In fact, since older players have had episodes of meeting a lot of, what we call defective Metas, at their expense, I think people are doing a good job trying to welcome most people despite the bad history they have. So let's try to remain positive, please? In addition to that kind of criticism, I find it sad that people have gone out of their way of daily role-playing to organize things for new players to do, and it would be polite of other players to show their appreciation.
                              Also if you just started the game recently, the colony has been under a lot of pressure from the presence of an intruder and the Blackguards (These aren't typical settings).
                              Additionally, people have been leaving because of school, so the friends who are left behind might be a little cranky.
                              All these things play in. You will not always have good experiences and your choices might not suit a lot of people. I think this is when trying to be confident with your choices and keeping on trying might be a good asset.
                              About being different and acceptance, I have seen a wide variety of strange characters who almost always get assimilated and welcomed, and this against all odds. You might not have anything in common with the people you want to be friends with, and that is like that everywhere.
                              I think in the case of having difficulty playing, it is more a matter of choosing your stories carefully because of the Alpha culture which is somewhat harsh in nature. And to expect that there will be mistakes. Everyone has lapses of acting odd, making enemies, fixing their differences, getting in trouble with the law, etc. That is part of what Alpha as a society is. Ask Vallon. He's chosen a different way of life he's been here the whole 3 years and things weren't all happy and cheerful for his character, and nevertheless he found himself a job as an Administrator's personal guard at some point! (Not that it's always seen as a good thing, but it's an example for those who want to go up the ladder of success) [I hope it's okay to share that tidbit...:P ]

As a fellow role-player to another, I would prefer people post about positive reinforcement of RP help for new players, about understanding the theme and the setting and what kinds of character behaviors are fitting for said theme and setting, and let's not make this post slide down to criticism more than it already has.
                              I don't want anyone to think that talking about good role-playing on this post is discouraged. On the contrary.
                              Although, I would prefer that people keep these kinds of differences IC and use that as an opportunity for role-playing interactions. You will find that this player base and the way things work here are for the most part very forgiving of problems like that.

If you are worried about your character's progress because of some mistakes and you are still getting used to the game, I'm sorry to say but sulking or putting posts on the forums about it might not be helpful. For one thing, probably most people already have forgotten the slight, and moved on, and a lot of players don't check our forums regularly. On the bright side, you aren't going to be shun from getting a job or making progress or making friends in this game, at least not based on the fact that you had a rough start. Maybe if you don't play, that might be a problem. It is only based on what directions you choose to take in general. So if you obviously are choosing a very unstable person, of course it will be hard for you to get a job in the police field... Things that are logical and only particular to your own character are considered. Not because so and so decides to say bad things about you or because you had arguments. Everyone gets a chance based on their own talents and abilities. Evidently, if you try to shoot a professor, said professor might not want to hire you as an apprentice later on. But note that I say might. That is never a certainty, as there are plenty of ic ways to fix problems in LP, even if that means brain surgery [insert eerie music]. And this goes back to Syren's question on why people might feel stuck. Please don't feel stuck, there are plenty of options given to you here. You don't need to rise in social standing like in other games. But your endeavors need to make sense with your actions. That's it. Just remember that it's only based on your own interests and on your own abilities to role play for said job or activity. The only people you need to worry about are the Naturals and the staff. : P

In brief, only you can destroy your character, once you understand the simple laws and the theme.

Please try to keep it IC, use that as a propeller for more interesting developments. Try to find out why people reacted a certain way. Sometimes they are busy, we have email in game for questions. A slight could take your character to a very interesting direction. If you aren't interested in people, they might not be interested in you.

To clarify, this game's theme is dark sci-fi role-playing.

Comment

Just a little nudge...

Although I've seen a lot of changes in the game back towards the way things were to begin with, there's one part of the RP that hasn't seemed to change much.

This is, as raised before, characters coming onto the game and immediately seeking intimate relationships with "pretty girls" or attractive men. Just wanted to remind people, that's not what this game is all about. By all means, find a relationship for your char, but it shouldn't be the first priority. In fact, you will find a lot of characters in the game already taken.

Also, seeking those sorts of things in the beginning may brand you ICly as someone to avoid. I mean, you've just arrived, haven't tried to fit in yet and all you want to do is get intimate. It doesn't make sense or isn't very logical. As they've done lately, that would brand your meta as defective. They aren't following sense or logic and seeing as metas were designed to be smart... that hints at a very big defect.

I wasn't too eager to bring this up, being it's an awkward subject but it's one of the things which contributes to the senseless violence.

Besides, I'm pretty sure dark sci-fi role-playing is entirely different from romance.

Gotta love Hunter Man

Striding along the path, rifle in my hand. My senses spreading, across this vast land. The beast inside, coming alive. Looking around, watching everything thrive. I know I can't come, to any harm. There's no need, for any alarm. I'm Hunter Man, wild and free. There's no-one else... quite like me!

The power of One means nothing, if there are not many to appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                                X