Announcement

Collapse
1 of 5 < >

Forums Reversion

The cloud server that hosts the main Skotos web site and the forums experienced a hardware failure on Saturday morning that unfortunately led to severe database corruption. Several attempts to restore it failed.

This led us to our backups, but the timing was a bit unfortunate. Since the failure occurred on a weekend morning, we didn't see it until after a new backup occurred, which contained the corrupted data, and which removed our previous daily backup. This forced us to our weekly backup, which was unfortunately at the end of its time: six days old.

So, the forums are back, but we had a six-day reversion.

This should not have affects on the rest of the site, since the majority of our data is saved in our main-user-database or our games, all on remote machines.
2 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

The cloud server that hosts the main Skotos web site and the forums experienced a hardware failure on Saturday morning that unfortunately led to severe database corruption. Several attempts to restore it failed.

This led us to our backups, but the timing was a bit unfortunate. Since the failure occurred on a weekend morning, we didn't see it until after a new backup occurred, which contained the corrupted data, and which removed our previous daily backup. This forced us to our weekly backup, which was unfortunately at the end of its time: six days old.

This should not have affects on the rest of the site, since the majority of our data is saved in our main-user-database or our games, all on remote machines.
3 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

4 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

5 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

See more
See less

What is good role playing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rylana Avari View Post
    I think the most proactive chars should get the most as they are the driving force in the game and they are the ones who actually entertain.
    They do help so much and so more proactive players are definitely welcome. Proactive players make it easier for us to focus on building the game. And we can't wait to hear from people who want to build plots and organize things.
    The only glitch I can think of is that we've had a lot of players take on responsibilities and leave shortly after. Which makes it hard. So a waiting period sort of sipped in after a while... It kind of started be like, maybe if they still play after a few weeks. Also It happened too often than you can believe, that I have been wanting to give a certain position to a character who happens to decide to take a turn that makes it hard icly for that position to make sense (i.e. the nonsensical reactions that Syren is referring to) And that makes it hard too. So I know we try to give a chance to everyone. I have been having the "wait and see and hope for the best" attitude though. But only for giving jobs not for plots. Definitely not plots. We want everyone to participate and try to drag people in whenever possible. Everyone is encouraged to take part in the plots and even make up their own. We are always curious to hear about what someone might come up with (But yes, refer to Telemachus' post earlier about plot topics).

What other things are you thinking of that players should get more of, when you say "proactive characters should get the most"?

Also I think that's probably off topic so you are welcome to send me a page.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
      I consider myself to be a new player although I have tried the game before (a little over a year ago and didn't last long due to distractions unrelated to the game).
      Hooray!!! *clings*

Welcome back! And I hope to get to play with you when I can get connected.

Just as a side note to add to the discussion ... just offhandedly, it's nice and everything to shun the people who are acting out .. but at what point are you shunning yourself to the point of asocialization? When do you stop interacting with everyone just to avoid bad interactions? I've found myself doing that in this game. LP is. very clique-ish. This can be both good and bad, considering that we have some nice factions of players. Conflict is good. What's not so nice about it, is that it effectively feels like interacting in High School all over again.

I am -so- very sick of catty, com-arguing, backstabbing, boy-girl, overdramatic, suicidal drama in this game. A little bit has it's place. We're all human, and a bit of overpersonal drama is to be expected. But I find it slightly depressing to log on, interact with one or two people, be overwhelmed by the sheer amount of nastiness going on, and retreat to hide in my room for the majority of the evening. I've tried saying it several times as politely as possible, and my apologies to everyone for being blunt, but it's killing the game. This kinda stuff is the reason players have quit. I know Vallon correctly advises not to settle IC issues OOCly, but if we don't all work together to set a -theme- for this game, we won't have much of a game to handle IC issues in. We will have an interactive chatroom, where the same 10 people log on and gripe at each other.

Also, I have to chime in about welcoming newlies. There have been some AWESOME characters who help a lot with welcoming new players/characters. You all know who you are. Again, I think keeping a lot of the chatter and argumentative RP off of the com would help a lot of the newer players feel more comfortable in the environment.

Since people are outcrying for us to solves the Com issue ICly, can we have an IC means of dealing with it? Other than waiting for a Sec officer to log on and handle the problem? There are a LOT of times when someone in authority either isn't paying attention to com, or simply isn't logged on.

Again, I don't mean to offend anyone or target anyone, but I've been with this game for a long time, and I get very frustrated with it at times. No one can say that I have personally tried to act upon it ICly, as I HAVE spoken/acted out against it to the point where my character has been ostracized for speaking against people/going against the grain of society.

This issue has been brought up so many times, I think it's reasonable to assume that many of the players have strong feelings about it. Maybe we can get some sort of outlet towards dealing with this problem? ICly or otherwise ... something that can make us feel like we have some sort of way to -effectively- work against it?
      Last edited by Anoura; 09-30-2008, 05:19 PM. Reason: Stupid quotes

Comment

It is more of a general thing then game specific actually. The most proactive people should have the most reward. There are many reward types, though of course attention and RP are the two most important. Being proactive often gets both.

It is somewhat of a plotter thing I guess, if someone is proactive and inclusive it is a good thing to drop info for that player as that is the most likely to be used. Reward can depend on person, temporary boost of skills, some items, unique or just general. Memories, favors from Vps. The list is endless. Like accidental knowledge to a hidden room (even if they already know of it). A mark on the skin, a single alteration of the body they can use to position themselves.

But usually the real reward is the RP one gets. It depends on the player base and what you strive for. I admit not knowing enough about this particular game to specifically answer the question, maybe this is exactly a field older players could have a huge say and help with the what would be motivating.

Staff run plot
        What do you want to reach with plot: involve new players
        Target group: proactive chars
        Motivation: knowledge of game, some tiny props, contacts
        plot: event that reaches goals and gives out motivational tools with conclusion and consequences.

Player run plot
        What do you want to reach: have my char have certain alteration
        Target group: new chars
        Motivation: obtaining new alteration, creating minions
        plot: playing new chars so they IG serve me, ooc we all have fun, they get some tiny props and I get my alteration

And now I am rambling off topic. Sorry for that.

But yes, new chars is always great to do things old chars are already bored of but need to do, as it is all new to the new chars. Might be a way to get a connection with them?

Comment

Originally posted by Wende View Post
          Perhaps someone was trying to help you, and came off as too strong? But hopefully it wasn't a lot of people doing that to you and just one instance. Hopefully.
          Helping is setting a good example in the first place. That's not the case, despite the arguement that for some reason new players should just blindly look to older players for direction.

Helping might also constitute approaching characers directly about slights, imagined or otherwise and not spreading rumors about new players or talking behind their backs in an attempt to isolate them from the community.

Helping is accepting that a player is new and not immediately screaming over com that he's defective and needs to be arrested/reprogrammed/shot/etc. Or taking the time to guide him ICly or, if you lack the patience/ability, converse with him OOCly to explain why something should be done differently.

Helping would be not assuming off the bat that you're a better RPer then anyone else, and criticizing their choices without knowing any of the IC conditions and circumstances going on, the story they're trying to tell, or their own experiences.

That isn't my experience with the overwhelming majority of the playerbase, and those are just my experiences. The ones that I have seen myself, or directed at myself. They don't include that of two other player who have spoken to me about the game in response to this thread, and they aren't isolated incidents or pertaining to just one or two other players.

Comment

I know we have a lot of childish acting chars and lots of chars that just focus on the drama but I think thats what this post is suppsta help. I know I personally try to go out of my way to help new people when I see them. Old too even. And I have been trying to take some of the ideas from theses post and add them IC to try and help out some. I don't think anyone expects new players or characters to be perfect but I don't think I've seen anyone pushed from roleplay before. I know sometimes it might be a little tough to get into cause people are occupied with this or that but it is doable if you try. Even the characters that turn out to be 'defects' get RP even if its not the sweetest kind :-p But its still some pretty good RP. I know chars like Damal, Gero , Mick and other ones like them could be considered highly defective but there still accepted in easily enough. At least not from what I have seen. So no ones expecting new chars to be perfect but if you make them a bit odd its not gonna be easy to jump right in but with some tries ya can find people ya like roleplaying with here. We have all kinds ^.^And I understand that people might want a bit of leeway ooc for there weird chars or when it doesn't make sense to do something IC....but thats the problem...it doesn't make sense IC <.< So people are gonna react that way IC. Theres plenty of ways to get there views changed or still even RP with that. You don't have to be friends with everyone to have good RP ^.^ Just because someone got yelled at this day doesn't mean there gonna be pissed off forever at you. People tend to get over things really quick here and if not thats still more RP you can do. Like 'Oh! How mean. Why are you so mean to me? Don't you agree there mean?' or even trying to fix it IC. But if anyone needs any help getting assimulated or into the game then please just ask someone ^.^ We normally very nice OOC even if we don't agree with stuff or just ask IC. I know lottsa people would like to help make people 'undefective' in there view or help them out or even just help them make friends. So if you meet someone you think is pushing you away just try asking IC or try to fix it there I think...Most of us enjoy making up things then pushing people away ooc. So maybe there just reacting IC. If you have a problem with it or if you don't understand maybe try asking them or tell them you think its to harsh ooc? I know, I personally, and many other don't want any one to leave or feel pushed from the game, and be more then happy to clarify or explain why there doing something IC. I hope to see lots more ideas to help the game from this post ^.^

Comment

Alright, my 1/2 cent on this...

Play anyone you want as long as it falls within game rules and you aren't pissing anybody off.

When I created Arden, I had the idea in mind to grow whichever way the game took him. It seems that his growth has taken him to the "high-school" side. I, personally, don't have a problem with the "high-school" side. When I first started this game with Randolph, it didn't seem like "fast-paced sci-fi action" like it used to be "back in the day", it seemed more like a sci-fi soap opera. Which, for some reason, really pulled me in. "Fast-paced sci-fi action" probably would've made me not even play this game. If I want to play that kind of game, I'd play Crysis or something. RPG's, in my experience, tend to lean toward soap operas, or something like that. I enjoy that kind of thing, and I don't see why LP should be any different. So what I'm saying is, LP seem destined from the start to be a "high-school" sort of game, like any other RPG out there. Uhm...can't really think of anything else to add there

Oh, and arguments like this, which spawn faster than rabbits, are one of the things that have alienated me from the game. The problem with these arguments is that it seems like this from my POV, and I mean no offense, this is literally what it looks like to me: A seasoned player, like a 70+ year-old man, decides to reminisce about the old days, and whine (or not, sometimes it seems like whinging, other times it doesn't) to others about it. Then other old players join in, and form a fest of reminiscing. And an argument starts. People say this and that and this and that ad nauseam. And the entire time, no one does anything to bring the game back to what it was. And it nothing happens after the argument. It's just a time-wasting topic that goes absolutely nowhere. No one changes what they do, or how they play...nothing happens. So, that's what I think. No offense to anyone.
              --Arden

Comment

Originally posted by Anoura View Post
                Maybe we can get some sort of outlet towards dealing with this problem? ICly or otherwise ... something that can make us feel like we have some sort of way to -effectively- work against it?
                I'm all for finding solutions that helps people feel better.
                We can try to think about something, but what are you thinking of? Are you talking in matters of .. a group? A law? An activity?

Comment

I'll add another 1/2 cents, to make a full penny from both me and Ardy

That's one of the things... Even I think back on some of the games I used to play and wish things were the way they used to be. The reason why some people leave is because of the change. The only way you can keep this game from changing is by enforcing stricter rules- which would then turn people away from the current free flow style we have now. Ya can't always get what you want, but if you change it, you might end up hating what the end results are.

Ardy, the problem is that Laz went from being your "sci-fi soap opera" to just being a soap opera. And while some drama is good- what's life without a little drama?- but honestly, its gotten a little far... I'm hoping that new 45 day rule really works out... Might cut back on the emotional carnage that's been flying around on the com and in in public places...

Eh, I'm done... for now.

What are YOU lookin' at?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
                    Helping is setting a good example in the first place. That's not the case, despite the arguement that for some reason new players should just blindly look to older players for direction.

Helping might also constitute approaching characers directly about slights, imagined or otherwise and not spreading rumors about new players or talking behind their backs in an attempt to isolate them from the community.

Helping is accepting that a player is new and not immediately screaming over com that he's defective and needs to be arrested/reprogrammed/shot/etc. Or taking the time to guide him ICly or, if you lack the patience/ability, converse with him OOCly to explain why something should be done differently.

Helping would be not assuming off the bat that you're a better RPer then anyone else, and criticizing their choices without knowing any of the IC conditions and circumstances going on, the story they're trying to tell, or their own experiences.

That isn't my experience with the overwhelming majority of the playerbase, and those are just my experiences. The ones that I have seen myself, or directed at myself. They don't include that of two other player who have spoken to me about the game in response to this thread, and they aren't isolated incidents or pertaining to just one or two other players.

Thanks for taking the time to clarify for me!

Okay, I would like to address that.

Well... I'm not sure how to enforce ooc-ic friendliness with everyone. But that is part of common courtesy that we expect among players here in LP. That is a huge difference between theme and being rude to others. Even if our setting is a little tough, we expect people to remain courteous with one another.

Now it makes me wonder...

It's okay to have conflicts or disagree with people or dislike a particular choice someone makes, but players are generally asked to keep it nice and not be forceful about it, and especially to know it's not okay to be mean to people oocly. Of course, sometimes people won't always realize that they were mean to you. I think it's always okay to ask someone if they made you uncomfortable. Misunderstanding are very annoying, I know that for a fact >.> so it helps to ask questions.

About the rumors part, that's kind of a downside of having many interactions. One thing I can think of is to talk to as many people as possible and possibly groups of people together instead of separate, to clarify possible rumors spreads. Com actually can be a tool to prevent that, maybe? I'm not sure.

Please ask one another if the person is comfortable with how the scene is going, when things get a little tense. Sometimes it breaks from the overly emotional situation and prevents from getting caught up in something unpleasant. It's okay to double check in the middle.

Please do make sure you inform people politely about something you might think they are doing wrong. You might not always be right about your preferences. It's okay too, that's why it's always good to keep an open mind.

I think you can achieve really great conflicting stories while still being on friendly terms oocly. In fact, it's the best kind of conflicts in my opinion. The ones where you aren't emotionally involved in but simply role-play for the beauty of the written word, story or what have you. But not because you are yourself angry (but that's my opinion).

So do you, players, think we need some help file resource/support for people to read on how to keep it separate, how to come forward, when it's okay to come forward etc? How many people are aware that they could stop and ask oocly, or tell someone that they aren't comfortable with how some things are going? (I'm not including things that we don't permit in the game, but just conflict between people, or disagreement).

Sometimes things need to remain based on ic, but can certainly be bluebooked if you aren't comfy with playing it through.

Oh, there's also the fact that sometimes real life things are getting in the way of people's role-play. It can happen.

Maybe it's already available, I will look into it.

If any of you have questions, that what we are here for!

Hopefully that helps. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
                      ... this is exactly the type of thing that is being encouraged, and it's done with the most condescending and arrogant "I've played longer then you, I know whats better for you and the game" mentality.
                      I will admit there are times when I have had bad days. I hope that it is not too often. While I am just another player, I have also spent some time talking to staffers behind the scenes about what they feel the setting is or how they would like it to be. Hopefully on average I do mostly alright with staying true to the vision of the setting.

It is often not a matter of "I've played longer then you, I know whats better for you and the game" but how well people attempt to stay with the setting and not try to push the game away from what the creator intended the game to be. Quite a few of the "newer" players do try to push the game in a direction it was never intended to go. In which case, in order to avoid long drawn out struggles with those individuals, they get ignored by the older players who are only trying to keep the game moving in the intended direction. I have been guilty of intentionally ignoring some players for that reason.

I did not expect your character to notice the tension building between our characters precisely because we have not been in direct contact - but you would have noticed it eventually, trust me on that count. I am very sorry that it will not happen if you decide you don't want to hang around. I want you to have fun, and if you feel you can't find that here, I wish you all the best and hope your next choice can provide that for you
                      First Patient of Mendus
                      Manchester's 'Accident Prone' Patient

SPCade "And by we I mean Nyx"
                      PL: Fionn (Fionnghuala)
                      CM: Finella
                      ICO: Thera
                      LC: Belle Griffin

The Underground Starts Here!

Comment

Sniffle

you guys make me wanna cry sumtimes.Gosh
                        Madalina Blue and Saruno

Comment

Here is a quick list I am thinking up on the spot of things I would like to see happen in LP while I'm sitting here scarfing down yogurt that is about to expire in two days.

-A higher level of maturity in characters (Mature behavior, NOT mature -content-

-If you get hurt, act it. Sure it might mean spending a few days in the hospital or not running around alpha, but that is part of the game.

-When you do something wrong that lands you in jail, DON'T complain that you are bored sitting in jail, you put yourself there. Same goes with Mendus.

-We don't need constant arguing on com, it even gives -me- a headache at times.

-Vampires, werewolves, princesses, castles, superheroes, none of these belong in a sci-fi oriented game. If you aren't sure if your character would know something, ask one of the staff.

-You are not expected to RP with everyone, by any means. But interaction (in my opinion) is what makes the game fun.

-Be aware of character placement, this is important for situations where conflict arises. Take a moment to see who is where so if player A runs for the door and player B is near the door, both can play accordingly with a plausible sinario. If player B is sitting on a sofa, and player A makes a break for it. Player B isn't going to pop up infront of the door to block A's exit.

-Combat, my personal fav. Use the fight command for actions that would cause bodily harm. Anything from a slap to the face, to a fork in the eye. For those of you not familiar with the fight command here is an example of what you would write

EXAMPLE:

fight Lazarus "picks up a spork and viciously drives it up Lazarus' nose.

Telemachus picks up a spork and viciously drives it up Lazarus' nose (is what would show up to other in the room)

Using this tool will avoid auto/godmodding as the system relies on a person's combat skill level. Naturally if you don't train your weapons skill your less likely to hit the person then someone who has been working hard on the skill. This would also apply to doing something like tripping a character when they are fleeing. The alternative of course is if the players discussed things OOCly as to how things will go down and use free emotes to RP it out. But if you go with the second option, be aware that another person could walk in, unaware of the OOC planning of the scene and could change things. Run with it, spontinuity is the cream of RPing.

-WE DO NOT CONDONE SEXUALLY BASED PLOTS! RAPE PLOTS ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE HERE! If you DO try to do something along these lines, It will be flashie thing'ed out of existence by the LP MIB squad. AKA Staff will inform all involved that the event did not happen and that it will simply be changed to a simple assult with NO sexual connotations.

Alright, I'm done my yogurt so I'll wrap this up. I've pretty much expressed the things I thought needed to be expressed. If you have questions or comments, feel free to page me whenever I am on.

Comment

Hrm..

^_^. Now can we all play nicely?
                            Madalina Blue and Saruno

Comment

Nicely...

I think some of the players need to know that definition...

What are YOU lookin' at?!?!

Comment

I just want to let folks know that I feel some good points have been made here, and myself and staff are considering everyone's viewpoints. I'm half-asleep while posting this (late here), so please excuse any unintelligible ramblings...

For Evan + Duncan (and all newbies): I welcome your criticism, suggestions and ideas. Just because someone is a new player, it's not like your comments are less valuable. I consider your comments very important in these types of discussions.

Sometimes elitism happens in these types of games. I am fully aware of this fact. Old characters may feel more important, or form cliques, and exclude those they feel who haven't 'earned their dues' or simply characters they dislike. I don't think it's a rampant problem here, but I won't dismiss the fact it may exist to a certain degree.

Besides just saying to players: "Don't do that', what suggestions do players (especially new players) have that staff can do to correct such a problem?
                                But it's also important to differentiate between how characters RP, and true elitism. If a character is made with personality flaws (if well played, my favorite type), and established characters aren't necessarily welcoming, that doesn't mean they are being elitist. It simply means that their character is reacting in a way that is normal for them, icly. Such as if I made a new character that was unusually angry or displayed signs of mental imbalance. I wouldn't expect older characters to greet me with welcome arms.

That said, I hope our older players will consider the feelings of new players, and perhaps take into account they may not realize how the game works, or how certain types of characters interact here.

Regarding Com: when I had it added to the game, I realized it was a double-edged sword. It adds to the game overall, I feel, as it helps facilitate RP, allows conversations even when there aren't many players on, and should help new players figure out the game. But... it also can lead to bad RP being seen by everyone, gibberish/nonsense annoying you, and hearing plots/info you have no interest in. What I hoped would happen with Com initially, but hasn't yet, is that players would police themselves. The players really are the game here... they control the quality of RP, and how characters and plots develop... if a certain level of good (or semi-decent) RP is considered the norm, bad RP should be discouraged, just by character interactions, and in-game rewards, such as jobs and plot activity. This hasn't occurred, but I am still hopeful.

I'll touch on some other issues when I'm more awake. Again, if players have suggestions or ideas staff can implement, we'll certainly consider them. And we are thinking of holding some staff/player ooc meetings in-game in the future, where we can discuss these issues further.

Comment

Working...
                                X