Announcement

Collapse

Skotos Forums Closing: September 30

The Skotos Forums are officially closing on September 30, 2020. They will go read-only on that date, and will be removed entirely sometime afterward.

We encourage the games that spun off of Skotos to create new discussion mediums of their own, and some have already done so. But the centralized discussions for Skotos will soon be a thing of the past (just as the centralized Skotos site is).

We've also posted a goodbye message to the community on our main page, which you can find here:
http://www.skotos.net/goodbye.php
See more
See less

What is good role playing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll give an example for Mal...

I had the Super Hero git for a while....i never claimed i could fly....merely just acted kinda like Batman...a vigilante of sorts...never claimed of otherwordly powers....and i was doing this for a while in front of Staffers...

I get told a month or so ago that i can't do this, it's against the game rules...
    Tell me how come now all of a sudden after like 6 months of this that i can't do it?

Other things i agree with Mal about....Real life items...Why can't our character have an imagination and make things up? Our character may be looked at as Mendus worthy...but according to certain staffers, it's against the policy and doesn't fit with the time period....Our characters should be allowed to make things up.... Like Mal with his coconut song or me with my ninjas...i don't even use the actual definition of a ninja...Kylee merely says that a ninja is someone that is 'utterly cool'....but it's banned because we have them in rl...

I just think that we have a lot of RP restrictions now that make the game more boring...obviously somethings need to be restricted...but why not give our characters an imagination and make things up?

Comment

Originally posted by Super Kylee View Post
      I'll give an example for Mal...

I had the Super Hero git for a while....i never claimed i could fly....merely just acted kinda like Batman...a vigilante of sorts...never claimed of otherwordly powers....and i was doing this for a while in front of Staffers...

I get told a month or so ago that i can't do this, it's against the game rules...
      Tell me how come now all of a sudden after like 6 months of this that i can't do it?
      I suppose I should mention that I (and staff) don't follow every character and notice how they act all the time, unless we run into them when they are RPing in a certain manner. So if you acted like a superhero-type, I probably wouldn't have noticed it. I believe it came to my attention when you requested a cape (about a month ago), to go along with your superhero persona.

If you want to play a vigilante character, with heroic qualities, that is perfectly fine. I actually think that's an interesting character choice.

But if you want to RP as a superhero, with a cape, and a flock of ninjas (which is what you suggested), I hope you can see why it doesn't fit into the game so well?

And ninjas wouldn't be known to your character, and certainly don't exist in this time period or setting. You can use your imagination to make up other terms for things, but when you use terms that reference RL objects/people, and those things obviously aren't in the game, or could be known to your character, it could be considered poor RP.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus View Post
        I suppose I should mention that I (and staff) don't follow every character and notice how they act all the time, unless we run into them when they are RPing in a certain manner. So if you acted like a superhero-type, I probably wouldn't have noticed it. I believe it came to my attention when you requested a cape (about a month ago), to go along with your superhero persona.

If you want to play a vigilante character, with heroic qualities, that is perfectly fine. I actually think that's an interesting character choice.

But if you want to RP as a superhero, with a cape, and a flock of ninjas (which is what you suggested), I hope you can see why it doesn't fit into the game so well?

And ninjas wouldn't be known to your character, and certainly don't exist in this time period or setting. You can use your imagination to make up other terms for things, but when you use terms that reference RL objects/people, and those things obviously aren't in the game, or could be known to your character, it could be considered poor RP.
        But if i were to make up other terms for a certain thing...regardless...everything we use is in RL...so considerably, since we don't have ninjas in the game...obviously the term would be made up, yes? So i still don't get why we can't use a term just because it's in real life. That would also mean we shouldn't be able to use normal sland terms that are in real life either. Based on how i believe we're supposed to be programmed we should all be talking politely and with no grammar defects, unless your character is defected.

As for the cape, i had kinda wanted to get it cause of the fact that she was a super hero like person. But Kylee had wanted because she thought they were cool. She then changed to wanting a cloak, because it is similar...and to appease the story peeps, nothing that has to do with a super hero. So if i wanted to do a vigilante thing then, i would be able to? I'll page you about it i guess, see if i can start something up with that.

Comment

That would also mean we shouldn't be able to use normal sland terms that are in real life either. Based on how i believe we're supposed to be programmed we should all be talking politely and with no grammar defects, unless your character is defected.
          This part got me a little confused, so I would like to check what you meant by it before saying something. My question is...
          Are people under the impression that ic, slang and bad grammar, as well as not being able to speak properly is the norm, and is encouraged by the staff and also work with the theme? Is that what you mean to say?

Comment

But if i were to make up other terms for a certain thing...regardless...everything we use is in RL...so considerably, since we don't have ninjas in the game...obviously the term would be made up, yes? So i still don't get why we can't use a term just because it's in real life. That would also mean we shouldn't be able to use normal sland terms that are in real life either.
            When I state RL items, I of course only mean RL items that wouldn't be known to your character or could possibly exist in the game.

As an example, let's reference Castle Marrach, Skotos' medieval game. If I made a character in Marrach and I claimed to be a spaceman, who used his sword as a laser-gun, his hat as a space-helmet, and I went around telling people I drove to the castle each day in my racecar, wouldn't that seem out of place for the setting and be considered poor RP?

I realize this is an exaggeration, but ninjas in our game is similar. Maybe you could simply say you have 'followers' or a similar term, instead of referencing something that couldn't exist in our game world?

That would also mean we shouldn't be able to use normal sland terms that are in real life either. Based on how i believe we're supposed to be programmed we should all be talking politely and with no grammar defects, unless your character is defected.
            I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this, but modern-day slang ideally wouldn't be used in-game. Other characters shouldn't be called 'dudes', internet-speak shouldn't be use in conversations, etc.

As for the cape, i had kinda wanted to get it cause of the fact that she was a super hero like person. But Kylee had wanted because she thought they were cool. She then changed to wanting a cloak, because it is similar...and to appease the story peeps, nothing that has to do with a super hero. So if i wanted to do a vigilante thing then, i would be able to? I'll page you about it i guess, see if i can start something up with that.
            You are free to RP a vigilante character, if you so choose. You do not require staff permission for this in any way. It's simply a character choice. Just don't go around claiming you can fly, or are Batman, please.

Comment

Working...
            X

Debug Information