Announcement

Collapse
1 of 5 < >

Forums Reversion

The cloud server that hosts the main Skotos web site and the forums experienced a hardware failure on Saturday morning that unfortunately led to severe database corruption. Several attempts to restore it failed.

This led us to our backups, but the timing was a bit unfortunate. Since the failure occurred on a weekend morning, we didn't see it until after a new backup occurred, which contained the corrupted data, and which removed our previous daily backup. This forced us to our weekly backup, which was unfortunately at the end of its time: six days old.

So, the forums are back, but we had a six-day reversion.

This should not have affects on the rest of the site, since the majority of our data is saved in our main-user-database or our games, all on remote machines.
2 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

The cloud server that hosts the main Skotos web site and the forums experienced a hardware failure on Saturday morning that unfortunately led to severe database corruption. Several attempts to restore it failed.

This led us to our backups, but the timing was a bit unfortunate. Since the failure occurred on a weekend morning, we didn't see it until after a new backup occurred, which contained the corrupted data, and which removed our previous daily backup. This forced us to our weekly backup, which was unfortunately at the end of its time: six days old.

This should not have affects on the rest of the site, since the majority of our data is saved in our main-user-database or our games, all on remote machines.
3 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

4 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

5 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

See more
See less

What is good role playing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lazarus
    replied
    Originally posted by Super Kylee View Post
    But if i were to make up other terms for a certain thing...regardless...everything we use is in RL...so considerably, since we don't have ninjas in the game...obviously the term would be made up, yes? So i still don't get why we can't use a term just because it's in real life. That would also mean we shouldn't be able to use normal sland terms that are in real life either.
    When I state RL items, I of course only mean RL items that wouldn't be known to your character or could possibly exist in the game.

As an example, let's reference Castle Marrach, Skotos' medieval game. If I made a character in Marrach and I claimed to be a spaceman, who used his sword as a laser-gun, his hat as a space-helmet, and I went around telling people I drove to the castle each day in my racecar, wouldn't that seem out of place for the setting and be considered poor RP?

I realize this is an exaggeration, but ninjas in our game is similar. Maybe you could simply say you have 'followers' or a similar term, instead of referencing something that couldn't exist in our game world?

That would also mean we shouldn't be able to use normal sland terms that are in real life either. Based on how i believe we're supposed to be programmed we should all be talking politely and with no grammar defects, unless your character is defected.
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this, but modern-day slang ideally wouldn't be used in-game. Other characters shouldn't be called 'dudes', internet-speak shouldn't be use in conversations, etc.

As for the cape, i had kinda wanted to get it cause of the fact that she was a super hero like person. But Kylee had wanted because she thought they were cool. She then changed to wanting a cloak, because it is similar...and to appease the story peeps, nothing that has to do with a super hero. So if i wanted to do a vigilante thing then, i would be able to? I'll page you about it i guess, see if i can start something up with that.
    You are free to RP a vigilante character, if you so choose. You do not require staff permission for this in any way. It's simply a character choice. Just don't go around claiming you can fly, or are Batman, please.

Leave a comment:

• Wende
    replied
    That would also mean we shouldn't be able to use normal sland terms that are in real life either. Based on how i believe we're supposed to be programmed we should all be talking politely and with no grammar defects, unless your character is defected.
    This part got me a little confused, so I would like to check what you meant by it before saying something. My question is...
    Are people under the impression that ic, slang and bad grammar, as well as not being able to speak properly is the norm, and is encouraged by the staff and also work with the theme? Is that what you mean to say?

Leave a comment:

• Super Kylee
    replied
    Originally posted by Lazarus View Post
    I suppose I should mention that I (and staff) don't follow every character and notice how they act all the time, unless we run into them when they are RPing in a certain manner. So if you acted like a superhero-type, I probably wouldn't have noticed it. I believe it came to my attention when you requested a cape (about a month ago), to go along with your superhero persona.

If you want to play a vigilante character, with heroic qualities, that is perfectly fine. I actually think that's an interesting character choice.

But if you want to RP as a superhero, with a cape, and a flock of ninjas (which is what you suggested), I hope you can see why it doesn't fit into the game so well?

And ninjas wouldn't be known to your character, and certainly don't exist in this time period or setting. You can use your imagination to make up other terms for things, but when you use terms that reference RL objects/people, and those things obviously aren't in the game, or could be known to your character, it could be considered poor RP.
    But if i were to make up other terms for a certain thing...regardless...everything we use is in RL...so considerably, since we don't have ninjas in the game...obviously the term would be made up, yes? So i still don't get why we can't use a term just because it's in real life. That would also mean we shouldn't be able to use normal sland terms that are in real life either. Based on how i believe we're supposed to be programmed we should all be talking politely and with no grammar defects, unless your character is defected.

As for the cape, i had kinda wanted to get it cause of the fact that she was a super hero like person. But Kylee had wanted because she thought they were cool. She then changed to wanting a cloak, because it is similar...and to appease the story peeps, nothing that has to do with a super hero. So if i wanted to do a vigilante thing then, i would be able to? I'll page you about it i guess, see if i can start something up with that.

Leave a comment:

• Lazarus
    replied
    I'll give an example for Mal...

I had the Super Hero git for a while....i never claimed i could fly....merely just acted kinda like Batman...a vigilante of sorts...never claimed of otherwordly powers....and i was doing this for a while in front of Staffers...

I get told a month or so ago that i can't do this, it's against the game rules...
    Tell me how come now all of a sudden after like 6 months of this that i can't do it?
    I suppose I should mention that I (and staff) don't follow every character and notice how they act all the time, unless we run into them when they are RPing in a certain manner. So if you acted like a superhero-type, I probably wouldn't have noticed it. I believe it came to my attention when you requested a cape (about a month ago), to go along with your superhero persona.

If you want to play a vigilante character, with heroic qualities, that is perfectly fine. I actually think that's an interesting character choice.

But if you want to RP as a superhero, with a cape, and a flock of ninjas (which is what you suggested), I hope you can see why it doesn't fit into the game so well?

And ninjas wouldn't be known to your character, and certainly don't exist in this time period or setting. You can use your imagination to make up other terms for things, but when you use terms that reference RL objects/people, and those things obviously aren't in the game, or could be known to your character, it could be considered poor RP.

Leave a comment:

• Super Kylee
    replied
    I'll give an example for Mal...

I had the Super Hero git for a while....i never claimed i could fly....merely just acted kinda like Batman...a vigilante of sorts...never claimed of otherwordly powers....and i was doing this for a while in front of Staffers...

I get told a month or so ago that i can't do this, it's against the game rules...
    Tell me how come now all of a sudden after like 6 months of this that i can't do it?

Other things i agree with Mal about....Real life items...Why can't our character have an imagination and make things up? Our character may be looked at as Mendus worthy...but according to certain staffers, it's against the policy and doesn't fit with the time period....Our characters should be allowed to make things up.... Like Mal with his coconut song or me with my ninjas...i don't even use the actual definition of a ninja...Kylee merely says that a ninja is someone that is 'utterly cool'....but it's banned because we have them in rl...

I just think that we have a lot of RP restrictions now that make the game more boring...obviously somethings need to be restricted...but why not give our characters an imagination and make things up?

Leave a comment:

• Lazarus
    replied
    Originally posted by Just_that_guy View Post

3)Sorry staff but I gotta throw a dart at you too. Staff in the past used to be rather lenient about things that were said. You'd be able to get away with quite abit actually and I thought it made the game fun even though I -was- talking about things 'offworld'. Again I bring the point: ITS A GAME! LEAVE ROOM FOR RP (even if it is just random silliness because honestly, we need that now more than ever). If I hear the staff telling me to kill how I want to rp, I'm going to stop playing cause Staff crackdowns are now like government crackdowns on airports these days. Except there are no bombs involved...its fun that's being lost.
    I'm not aware of any staff 'crackdowns' as you say. Can you give an example?
    The only recent changes to game policy were in regard to 'romance' and newbies. If your character speaks of off-world things that the character could potentially know about, and it fits the theme of the game, you are free to do so. You may be thought of as a nut icly, and other chars don't have to believe you, but so long as it's reasonable, I see no problem with it.

Now, if you say your character speaks of flying to Earth using his jet-pack, stopping on Mars on the way, then staff may remind you that doesn't make much sense here.

We are holding a staff/player meeting this Saturday (I think), so feel free to attend if you can, and we can discuss issues like this in more detail.

Leave a comment:

• Just_that_guy
    replied
    Just things I've noted for over the years..or less...

Here I start

1) Recent rp is pathetic because people are so depressed. People lighten up its a freakin game.

2) RP. people come on. Next time a player tries to host a plot, take some time and get into eh? Plots always have some sort of reward...if thats what it takes to entice you. When I started the plot of the Glob hunt I -was- suppose to do that alone but I was being your civilized RPier and decided to share the fun with the other players. Most of you denied it like a fly.

3)Sorry staff but I gotta throw a dart at you too. Staff in the past used to be rather lenient about things that were said. You'd be able to get away with quite abit actually and I thought it made the game fun even though I -was- talking about things 'offworld'. Again I bring the point: ITS A GAME! LEAVE ROOM FOR RP (even if it is just random silliness because honestly, we need that now more than ever). If I hear the staff telling me to kill how I want to rp, I'm going to stop playing cause Staff crackdowns are now like government crackdowns on airports these days. Except there are no bombs involved...its fun that's being lost.

4) Specific people in this game think ICly and OOCly they know all there is to know about this game. As if being nagged by Staff wasn't bad enough but I've also been nagged at for pointless comments I've made ICly and people brought it to be made a serious OOC issue which led into a hot debate and got annoying. Things like -this- make the game less fun. I can't express enough how just..pointless you people make playing this game. Its no longer a game. Its more of..social jail if you think of it.

Tis all for now..can't think of anything else at this time being

Leave a comment:

• Fionnghuala
    replied
    Depends on if you are saying you know the song from somewhere else (i.e. the amplifier in the Parlor for example) or if you are saying Troubule made the song up herself, or saying that she "remembered" the song.

*"Remembered" -no. while there are some item things that you have imprinted (cake, chair, table and the like) I do not think it extends to music.

*Heard it on the Amplifier in the Rec parlor - with the exceptions noted by Laz, (i.e. no RL cultural identification) may be possible - Personal opinion here unless staffers want to correct my impression- I have a suspicion that the music is all instrumental/electronically generated without words - since words could lead you to think dangerous traitorous thoughts depending on the content of the song

*Made it up herself on the spot - most likely of the three, meaning she didn't take a song she heard and changed the words to it

Leave a comment:

• TroubuleD
    replied
    Um

with the not knowing certain songs....I have taken songs from rl and changed the words and sung them...is that the same?

Leave a comment:

• Lazarus
    replied
    Originally posted by Evan View Post
    This is something I agree with. Do the staff have written policies regarding what is inappropriate RP? From my search, I saw more than once that all RP should fit the theme but I couldn't find specific examples. If I'm blind, can someone nudge me toward the information?

Generally speaking, just use common sense with RP. Don't RP as if it's modern day, or use RL slang. Don't spam scenes with nonsense or use obscenities. Read about the setting and theme, and just do your best to RP accordingly.

Originally posted by Evan View Post
    1. What do our characters know upon hatching? Possibly walking, talking, breathing, the ability to adapt to society?
    2. What should our characters not know upon hatching? Possibly the name of the colony or even what a colony is?
    3. What will our characters never ever ever ever know? Possibly coconuts, popular songs of the 80's?
    4. What is considered defective behavior? I know there is unnecessary violence and odd behavior. But odd behavior in reference to what? What is considered normal behavior? It was already pointed out that doing what the older players do might not be such a good idea.
    1. You should know enough to get around, be able to speak, live, and know the names to common objects you see in the game.
    2 & 3. You shouldn't know modern day songs, movies, books, terms, slang or even what Earth is. If it's an animal or object not in the game, say like a racecar, or a blue whale, your character shouldn't know it either.
    4. Veronica answered this one pretty well. Also keep in mind the term 'defective' is an ic term. It has nothing to do with Rping well, or inappropriate RP. And in some cases, the powers-that-be may deem you defective not due to any physical or mental handicap. Non-doctor/non-administration characters have little say whether your character is defective, and do not have the power to send you to Mendus.

Leave a comment:

• KVeronica
    replied
    Hiya ^.^ Its not up to the older players to decide who is defective and not. Though they can choose to say someones defective or report that person to a doctor. But its the VPs , doctors, of the game that say who is defective and sticks em in Mendus, I believe. And there normally told by staff what to do and who to admit, I believe. I don't think theres any definition of defective up right now but people normally warn ya first, ic at least. So I just know whats considered defective by those that have already been put in Mendus. We have those that use unneeded violence, hear voices, come out claiming they have 'special' abilities, multiple personality, abuse of com tends to do it too...Anything that you would consider highly crazy in real life just about I believe. Theres also those that are physically defective. Blind, can't hear, can't speak, or can't speak properly. (Or at least the doctors keep complaining bout it. Figure if ya have ya char do it long enough they will consider you defective) Or other such things. I know we have alot of 'defective' chars that get on just fine if not for a few snide comments that should be expected if there obviously showing defective signs. I think being disloyal to the colony , while probably a crime, might also be considered Mendus worthy but I'm not sure. I know I prefer not to tell people 'no you can't play that'...unless there free emoting pulling things from bags that have never existed in our game or some other weird stuff I personally think it might be better sometimes to handle it IC and write a report up to a doc or officer and let them have the RP of either being captured and lobotomy or reprograming or just the jail time and see what they do when its all said and done and then continue from there. But....those are the things I'm fairly certain are considered defective ingame. People can feel free to correct or add to

I also suggest doing - @help setting - for those new to the game, @help gameplay , @help theme

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Wende,
    I understand the "sulking" comment was miscommunication. My apologies for not picking up on what you meant to say.

As for game setting, and where the game is heading, I think it is not the char's duty to police other players. (I am not aiming at any particular players here, but the thought generally.) The point is not to say no, you can not do that, instead make those choices to be very "expensive", meaning having consequences people won't want to play.
    This is something I agree with. Do the staff have written policies regarding what is inappropriate RP? From my search, I saw more than once that all RP should fit the theme but I couldn't find specific examples. If I'm blind, can someone nudge me toward the information?

The reason I think specific examples and official staff policies are important is because of this whole issues with defects. As of now, it seems there is no official answer on what is considered defective behavior. When my character asked ICly "What is considered defective behavior?" a few were unsure of the definitive answer but did know that unnecessary violence was considered defective.

If the answer is subjective and left up to the discretion of older, influential characters, then I do believe they are given more power than they should be allowed. Now, if they are given the authority AND have an official staff-written policy to follow which is also made public knowledge (so new and old players alike can read it and adhere to it if they choose), I don't consider that a problem. By making this information available to all, we can read it and will know how to avoid RPing a defective character if we don't want to play one. They are our characters and people shouldn't choose for us if they are defective just because our RP style might be different.

1. What do our characters know upon hatching? Possibly walking, talking, breathing, the ability to adapt to society?
    2. What should our characters not know upon hatching? Possibly the name of the colony or even what a colony is?
    3. What will our characters never ever ever ever know? Possibly coconuts, popular songs of the 80's?
    4. What is considered defective behavior? I know there is unnecessary violence and odd behavior. But odd behavior in reference to what? What is considered normal behavior? It was already pointed out that doing what the older players do might not be such a good idea.

Again, if this information is already available, can someone direct me to it? Maybe an easy to find newbie guide would help.

Leave a comment:

• Monique
    replied
    I agree with everything that's been said.

Leave a comment:

• Duncan
    replied
    Originally posted by Lazarus View Post
    And in regard to cliques, over-the-top drama, elitism, etc. and such... although it affects RP, it doesn't necessarily equate to restrictions on your character's goals. Most of the attainable jobs, obtainable items, and for a lack of a better word 'power', in the game isn't held by 'middle' players, or even in some cases, older players. There aren't restrictions on what you can achieve based on what other characters think of you.
    Unfortunately the day to day RP is really one of the most important features of theatre style games. As several people have pointed out, it's really where the fun is/should be made. Social interaction between characters is a very important factor in keeping people happy and having fun long enough to qualify or decide on goals for their character.

If they aren't having fun with the game population before they have a direction, job, goal, etc. then there's really very little reason for them to stick around long enough to get a job, or reason to believe the interaction will somehow get better even if they do.

I, myself, tried to rationalize that. I wanted Duncan to join the Ministry of Security because it suited the persona I had given to him perfectly. There is (understandably) a waiting period to join that organization. Once things had gotten bad enough where I decided I didn't want interaction with half of the colony I figured, well maybe I'll just stick around, work on my skills and things will get better and I'll have a job and some sort of RP to do later on.

The thing is, RP with who? If I ended up in a MoS job the chances of me becoming more involved with those same players I left in the first place is increased again.

There are various complicated issues that can arise in situations like that. Most of them I didn't really want to become involved in. Only two or three I can think of would actually be productive to the game as a whole, and that again depends on the player perception of the rest of the community, for which my opinion is not currently very high. So unfortunately my rationalization on the matter failed.

Leave a comment:

• Super Kylee
    replied
    First off...i didn't read all of it...only like the first page and a half...too lazy

Second...I can't be one to talk really...cause i know that Kylee is a problem kinda ic..and some things that she's created with her imagination the staffers have found not appropriate for gameplay...so i am kinda one of the issue peeps...but i still would like to put in my two cents...

Third...i agree with almost everything that was said. A lot of the newer players...no offense, still love ya....have been just coming on and causing problems...making it like high school, as Syren had said, and the constant relationship crap that goes on and all the drama with it is slightly annoying...Kylee has been a culprit of it before but she's gone quiet with it lately...

Fourth...Some IC things i believe should be addressed ooc...for example, inappropriate gameplay...stuff that doesn't go along with the story line (again, i'm a culprit)...those are things that should be addressed ooc because it's not always possible to get the point accross IC...But also a lot of IC things -should- be addressed IC, as Vallon had said. And as Syren had said..there's almost no security officers or naturals up to take care of it.

Fifth...to the staffers: i think we should ICly hire more security officers. Characters who tend to be up often...of course the ones who would be qualified better to take care of it..are the older players who no longer come on very much, mainly because of the constant banter on the game. I also think adding a few more vps perhaps could be helpful...spefically for security reasons...similar to the blackguards i think...but not nearly so destructive. Those are just ideas i'm going to throw out cause i certainly think it is an issue.

Sixth...Newer players: Please please please please....all the constant stupid things you do...the constant acting like psycho...screaming randomly...picking fights over nothing just to get attention...please please please...try and find a way to cut this down....it's driving off all of our more experienced players and turning this Role playing game into a big chat room. The constant banter and arguing (again...a culprit but have been cutting down a lot) is rather annoying...and yes i could easily turn off my com and have said that ic sometimes...but i agree with Syren...we could very easily be missing important stuff because believe it or not..the staffers do actually try and get story lines going. But all of the banter (i seem to like this word) makes the story lines crash and burn..which is why the game has been quite boring as of late. Instead of arguing (i don't remember who had pointed this out) try and make up new story lines to keep the game going.

Seventh...This game was soo much fun back when i first started...it was actual role playing with storylines going on left and right that got everyone involved...up until about a year ago, this game was truly a place of role playing...now me, i role play IRL as well, I play Dungeons and Dragons (i know..i am a geek) and stuff of that nature. So i'm used to the way role-playing is. But as of late...the role-playing has gone down because of the stupid banter that goes on (i really need to stop using that word). The constant drama has turned it into a chat room...driving all of the real role-players to not come on anymore or to hide in their rooms and not interact with everyone else.

Eighth...(this is going in no particular order..i'm just typing as i'm thinking of it) Story lines...A lot of you, namely newer peeps, like to make up your own story lines that only involve your char and a select few other people..that really isn't story line..that's just more drama to draw attention to yourself. Please if you wanna get involved in the story line of the game...talk to a staffer with your ideas...don't just start it up on your own.

Ninth...Long random rants on the forums is really annoying...oh wait...*looks up at all the words that were just typed* heh...right about that...j/k..random rants are good sometimes..gets your voice heard and your point across. If you have an issue that you think can't be solved IC...post a small little snippet on here, as Syren did, to get people's attention to the problem that can hopefully then be fixed. However..don't go ranting about stupid stuff like "The clothes options in the stores are stupid"...we don't all need to hear about stuff like that (i don't believe that was an actual topic brought up, i'm just using an example)...If it's something about how a certain char acts...try and solve it IC and if it doesn't stop still or get better, address the player directly and ask them nicely to try and change the way they play.

Tenth...okay i think i should probably stop here at ten. Once again...I know i'm a culprit of a bit of the things brought up...but lately Kylee really hasn't been all loud and annoying...she is sometimes...but she's pretty much been sitting in her room and only commenting on com...So..yea...i had a good ending in my head while i was typing like number six...but then i forgot it by the time i got down here..lol...okay yea i think i'm done my long random semi-rant. think what you will on it

Leave a comment:

Working...
X