Skotos Forums  

Go Back   Skotos Forums > Our Games > The Eternal City > Eternal City Player News

Old 04-15-2012, 09:29 AM
Registered Abuser

God... I don't think I'd een want to visit unless I had access to a storm shelter!

Seems weird, is there any logic behind not having them that I'm missing?
Old 04-15-2012, 09:30 AM
Straight :G

Send a message via AIM to Elsana Send a message via MSN to Elsana
I don't think I've ever been in a basement.
Shazam!
..anyways.

Earthquakes are sort of fun. I got bucked off the counter once when I was up there getting a glass from a high-up shelf, then it ended once I sat up. Thanks, nature! Being buried alive by rubble would be pretty terrible, though. Maybe that's why I'm scared of tornadoes. They can physically pick you up and thrash you about, tear your house apart, chuck oil rigs at you, AND bury you in rubble. Granted, earthquakes hit everywhere. I still think they're the lesser of several natural evils.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:03 PM

Well, I live in Kansas City, and I'm from Hutchinson Kansas. When I went to sleep last night around 11, the National Weather Service had said there had been 103 tornado sightings throughout Kansas alone. It went well in to the night.

Most houses have basements here in Kansas. That's really all the shelter I care for. 2 years ago when I was in college, Manhattan was hit by a f5 tornado. Like 3/4 a mile wide type thing. I was in my basement with four other friends who ironically came over to my house to use the basement. Our neighborhood was hit, it bounced three times. The first time is landed on the true value hardware store. Leveled it. Nothing left. Second time it hit the edge of our neighborhood, and the third time it hit part of campus of Kansas State. I thought it was funny when at 2 in the morning, we leave the basement to see a bunch of cars driving up and down our road. It was odd, so I went up to the first car and asked them what was up. The guy was like "Man, there was a Tornado!" I said, "Well yeah, but where?" He just kinda looked at me and said "Uh dude, right here." - It wasn't until the next morning when it was light out that I could see the destruction. Basements rock. I knew it was windy when I could see the tree in the front hard bend completely over and go parallel with the ground. Still though, couple shingles, few things from true value in the backyard (free socket wrench set ;>) and a damaged front limb was all that came from it.

I live in an apartment now. With all the warnings over the last couple days with the Midwest getting hammered with all these tornado's there was a good 20 seconds that I took to find where I needed to go in case things really did get serious. Right out the front door, right across the sidewalk and in to the lowest protected area I could find. The basement where laundry is done in the building right across from my front door. 20 feet away. Flashlights with backup batteries, gallon of water and a battery powered radio and you're golden.

I love tornado's. I chased three with my old neighbors when I was 16 or 17. I'd say it's safe to say that I don't really fear tornado's as much as I do other things. A flood that can put a foot or two of water in your basement is much more terrifying then the off chance of getting high wind damage. (Oddly enough, my sister n law's family house was totaled by a huge branch that fell on it, just a few months ago. It was a micro burst. They can happen when there's not even a storm around)

Volcano's, while posing as absolutely no threat to me, are probably the most scariest of natural disasters. If you're gonna risk living in tornado alley, then not a big deal. If you're gonna make home two miles from an active volcano? Yeah, no thanks. I've seen madness here in Kansas. Everyone freaking out thinking the worlds gonna end because a massive storm cell is coming our way. Everyone rush to the store and stock up on water and other preserves. The traffic can get intense. I can't imagine the traffic when thousands of people are all trying to escape in one direction.. =/
Old 04-15-2012, 03:05 PM
I'll QQ if I want to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzy View Post
God... I don't think I'd een want to visit unless I had access to a storm shelter!

Seems weird, is there any logic behind not having them that I'm missing?
It's the soil and high water tables in a lot of the south. There is a lot of clay. If you were asking about basements. Plus it's just generally lame down there. *eyeshift*
Old 04-15-2012, 05:26 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Attica Send a message via MSN to Attica Send a message via Skype™ to Attica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livak View Post
It's the soil and high water tables in a lot of the south. There is a lot of clay. If you were asking about basements. Plus it's just generally lame down there. *eyeshift*
It is. I wish I could move back upstate.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:26 AM
TEC Staff

I live in the central mid-west. Tornadoes are a thing. But I have a plan.

I have a duffled bag filled with old umbrellas. My plan is to strap the duffle to my body & whip up an umbrella whenever the previous one folds up, using them to catch the wind to direct my ascend/descent as I cackle madly & empty a giant garbage bag filled with those little "Pops!" fireworks that make a popping sound when you throw them against concrete.

I also have a boombox (wearable via bungie cords), with a pack of fresh D batteries, and casette tape with "Rock You Like a Hurrucain" ready to roll.

It will be Epic.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:07 AM
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tale View Post
I live in the central mid-west. Tornadoes are a thing. But I have a plan.

I have a duffled bag filled with old umbrellas. My plan is to strap the duffle to my body & whip up an umbrella whenever the previous one folds up, using them to catch the wind to direct my ascend/descent as I cackle madly & empty a giant garbage bag filled with those little "Pops!" fireworks that make a popping sound when you throw them against concrete.

I also have a boombox (wearable via bungie cords), with a pack of fresh D batteries, and casette tape with "Rock You Like a Hurrucain" ready to roll.

It will be Epic.
I have an odd image of you now as a modern day funked up wicked witch of the east (?) from Wizard of Oz :-/
Old 04-16-2012, 09:12 AM
TEC Staff

Not Witch. A witch implies that I have female bits. The male term for a minor caster of charms, herbalistic remedies & potions (i.e. witch), is Warlock.

The Somewhat Wicked Warlock of the Central Mid-West. Not to be confused with The Warlock From Mars. That is Charlie Sheen. Who, I'm told, is Winning.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Don't Panic

Send a message via MSN to AsaBladen
Quote:
Not Witch. A witch implies that I have female bits. The male term for a minor caster of charms, herbalistic remedies & potions (i.e. witch), is Warlock.

The Somewhat Wicked Warlock of the Central Mid-West. Not to be confused with The Warlock From Mars. That is Charlie Sheen. Who, I'm told, is Winning.
Duh.

letters
"Believe your voice can mean something"

Alurea Balasarre
Old 04-16-2012, 09:31 AM
Don't Panic

Send a message via MSN to AsaBladen
I've lived through a tornado going through my dorm building, two hurricanes, multiple earthquakes, blizzards, and a volcano erupting 300 miles away. Gotta say that the tornado wins for scary. Earthquakes are actually a bit weird, though I haven't been through a particularly large one.

The tornado caused the most damage, happened completely unexpectedly, and caused me the most panic/fear. Having to live through those constantly, I'd imagine one would make a bit of peace with their existence and have a pretty solid plan for how to deal with them. I know that when I lived in Alaska, that's how we viewed earthquakes.
"Believe your voice can mean something"

Alurea Balasarre
Old 04-16-2012, 06:01 PM

Six people died in Woodward,OK saturday night about 3 hours from where I live sw of Oklahoma City.

It was only a F2 also so Twisters kill people....
Old 04-17-2012, 01:58 AM
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Not Witch. A witch implies that I have female bits..

That's balderdash! Men can be witches. I found this out from a huge number of SERIOUSLY legitimate resources on the web, including one called "I am a male witch who drinks urine."

:-/

Better clean my firefox history.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: